z

Young Writers Society

Selected Stories - Ring Lardner

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:12 pm
Buddy. says...

I have recently finished reading Selected Stories by Ring Lardner, just before university started again, well, actually it crossed over a bit and i am a little behind but it's OK. It was worth it.

For those of you who aren't acquainted with Lardner, he was a sports journalist around the turn of the 20th century and dealt mostly in baseball, and wrote many sports-related stories at the time. Although never completing a novel, he did finish You Know Me Al, a series of letters from a baseballer, Jack Keefe, to his friend Al.

The diary entries are written in horrible handwriting, which i thought was through the fault of the author. I was an idiot, of course it wasn't. So the diary entries detail his rise from the lower leagues into the majors and the many successful, unsuccessful, awful and spontaneous relationships Mr. Jack Keefe goes through with friends and lovers.

Apart from this, my other favourite story was one by the name of Alibi Ike which was absolutely wonderfully crafted and created by a man who creates ideas that are absolutely as original as they get.

I suggest it, and it isn't strictly for sports fans to read, I'm not one but i loved it.

Buddy.

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.
— Emily Dickinson