Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:57 am
Snoink says...

Book: A Diary of a Young Girl
Author: Anne Frank
Genre: Nonfiction
Rating: 10/10

This is my favorite teenage writer ever. And that's saying something.

She had an older sister who always overshadowed her, a father who constantly badgered her, a boy whom she fell in love with, and a lot more. She, like many of us, longed to be a writer. She loved the outdoors, and when she could, spent as much time breathing in the cool night air. She was proud, obsitinate, but had a heart, and though a lot of times she was confused, she was always right on the fundamentals.

There was just one problem: she was Jewish. Worst yet, she lived in the time of Hitler, when Jews were sent off to a mysterious place (nobody was quite sure where it was, but it couldn't be good) and to be free, they had to hide from the Germans. So her family and Anne hid in a place called, "The Annex." They couldn't go out, and they were trapped in just a couple of rooms.

It wasn't particularly fun, and as Anne herself noticed, sometimes completely boring, but there was much to be learn, much learn, and much to enjoy, even under strict rationing.

Very good descriptions. Very good characters. And though the story goes on for a long time, you want it to continue. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry, and it will make you think very deeply. And you will never forget it.

10/10
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:41 am
Micah says...

Since I've read the book Snoink, this was pretty good. :)

Except it never made me cry. ;)
The book to read is not the one which thinks for you, but the one which makes you think. No book in the world equals the Bible for that.
Harper Lee
My sites:
http://www.wyattmuseum.com/
http://www.cafechrist.com/

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:04 pm
thegirlwhofateloves says...

I read that book so much when I was younger that the book's falling apart! I love it and I have to say it made me cry because it's just so touching and sad because you know that it's a true story...I mean, imagine living like that for as long as she did...
Mind you, I cried at Titanic too. Not because of Leo DiCaprio dying (no, I'm not quite that much of a tap), but because that ship really sunk and all those people really died.
'scuse me I'm just going to run and get a tissue...
lol.
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:20 am
Micah says...

Lol. ;):lol:
The book to read is not the one which thinks for you, but the one which makes you think. No book in the world equals the Bible for that.
Harper Lee
My sites:
http://www.wyattmuseum.com/
http://www.cafechrist.com/

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:13 am
Supermal says...

That is such a wonderful book. On Remembrance Day, I always wish that they'd show the movie instead of giving these long, boring speeches on remembering and such. Anne Frank's story is so much easier to relate to. It's hard for a bunch of teenagers to sit around listening to a bunch of old men talk about stuff that is hard for us to imagine. With Anne Frank's story, it's so much easier to imagine myself in her position and almost feel her pain, in a way.
~Michelle~
Who needs friends when you've just bought a brand new pen?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:14 am
Snoink says...

And it's horrible to find out what happened to her. :(

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:53 pm
Jojo says...

To be honest, it is the idea of writing a diary through all the sad and oppressing atmosphere that appeals tome. Anne Frank experience covers very few topics, but it makes us think deeply in whatever it goes into.
The Football Freak.

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:00 am
thegirlwhofateloves says...

I agree. I think that it's because it's a diary that it's always affected me so much. It's so full of emotion that it's amazing.
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

Reviews: 0
Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:01 am
~*~*~*~SOX~*~*~*~ says...

I'm reading it now! I'm not even to the part where they move into the annex yet but from what I have read so far, I LOVE IT! ha ha!

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:54 am
Whatsarahsaid says...

I read it when I was 9 and have read it twice since then. It makes me cry every time. Has anyone read milkweed by jerry spinelli? That's heartbreaking.
Alice&hearts;
"stay up all night with the stars."

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:35 am
Crayon says...

Anne Frank, those two words always make me sigh, she is such a sweetie! I adore her, I read the book when i was seven then started my own diary and instead of it being named Kitty (is that the name of hers? I havn't read it resently) it's name was Anne and i told everybody (not that my friends knew who Anne Frank was at that age) that my firstborn daughter would be named Anne, I don't think so now but anyway. Now i feel like reading it again.

Did you know there are three different publications of the diary out? ones edited so you don't read about her sexual curiousity, one has that and the other, well I'm not sure.
Trying to survive "sweet sixteen."
---
<love> is sweet -suicide- and {[you]} are my LATEST a.t.t.e.m.p.t

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:03 pm
kiashana says...

To be honest, this isn't exactly among my favorite books. In fact, I don't really like The Diary of Anne Frank at all. As a piece of literature, it's decent. However, people are always unaware of the fact that she wrote that diary for publication. It was never a personal diary. She edited, she made things up... It's not entirely nonfiction. Anne Frank, like all of us, was a writer, and too many people forget that when they read her 'diary'.
People use The Diary of Anne Frank as the perfect first exposure to the Holocaust for young children, and it isn't about the Holocaust. It's about hiding from the Holocaust. When you read the book, you might cry, but that's because of Anne's carefully edited prose, not because of what was actually happening to her. There are so many better Holocaust books, and that this book gets all the attention is ridiculous.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:37 am
xXMeGXx says...

i LOVE the diary of anne frank. and getting the chance to go over to Amsterdam and actually walk in where she had been, it was amazing. and really sad too.
Glad you liked as well :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:31 am
Elizabeth says...

I never had a chance to entirely read it... but from what I've read and heard, it is just as depressing as anything I ever read.... Although I'm just getting over Erich Maria Remarque's ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT.... *sighs* Depressing, depressing.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:57 am
Snoink says...

It's not depressing. She isn't a depressed girl -- just someone with a lot of energy to spare and without an outlet to do so. Now, if you're talking about the epilogue...

The very worst use of time is to do very well what need not be done at all.
— Benjamin Tregoe