z

Young Writers Society

Ther Series of Unfortunate Events

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:43 pm
Flower~Child says...

I have read through number ten, and I am taking a break for all the other books I have to read. Anyway what do you think of these books?
My reality comes to a close as I once again realize that you don't love me, and even if I love you with my everything you will never care.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:37 pm
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

Haha, I actually really liked these. But, I read all of them so long ago I can barely remember them. I just know I liked them and my favorite person was Sunny, the baby. Haha.
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:04 pm
Hannah says...

Love them. At least, I remember loving them. It's weird though, because in the last few books, the ones you're about to read {and maybe some in the last few you've read}, but the lightlightfluffylight tone that was especially in the beginning books is LOST in the last few. It gets a lot darker, but it's been hinting at that for a while, I think. So, enjoy them! =D I think I remember that the ending was so satisfactory to me, but that could just be my opinion. I wish there was more about the triplets. ANYWAYS! FUN!

-Hannah-
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

321 Reviews

Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:24 pm
View Likes
Flower~Child says...

I want Violet to get with the guy triplet.
My reality comes to a close as I once again realize that you don't love me, and even if I love you with my everything you will never care.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:10 am
~Volant~ says...

Personally, I didn't like it. They made me laugh because I couldn't take them seriously. And he kept interupting the story, which tends to bug me. :/

I used to enjoy them. That was before I decided to becom a writer and started stuyding books at an extremely critical point of view. I tend to rip apart books from cover to cover....
Where are we going?

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:15 pm
Sugarbowl says...

Personally, I loved them. The stories they tell are completely unrealistic, surreal, and unbelievable, but the way they're told was, in my opinion, fantastic. For me, the most important part of any book is the tone and the voice. A story can have an amazing plot, but if it doesn't have some kind of interesting, likeable or unique voice telling it, I'm not interested. This series had a tone that was at times lighthearted, at times depressing. It was subtle at points, then completely surreal at others. It was informative and mildly educational at times, and then at times it was hard to keep up with the seemingly unrelevant. That's what made me enjoy them so much; I'm a massive fan of style over substance stories :)

321 Reviews

Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:09 pm
Flower~Child says...

haha I liked them I still have to read the last two but I am getting there.

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:14 pm
EmiAnne says...

I liked the series. The ending was... odd, but you couldn't expect anything else after everything that Lemony Snicket had written.

I think that the only really big bad part was that at the beginning of every book Lemony took a chapter to get into the events, but began with a giant essay about... something or another. It bored me to death... he could have totally come up with a better intro.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow"
-mary anne radmacher

70 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 70
Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:52 am
Derek says...

I loved this series. I remember pre-ordering and waiting for each book to come out. They fit very nicely together and each one offers something new to the table increasing the reading experience. I found myself going back and reading other books because they mentioned something that was important in the future, that seemed meaningless at the time. I love the combination of mystery and action. I highly recommend this series to everyone :].

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:40 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

I loved these books. I really wasn't that fond of the story-- it upset me that so few people had even an inkling of common sense. But Lemony Snicket's storytelling is masterful. His way of defining vocabulary to fit the story, his absurd, dark sense of humor. I don't think I've read any story yet where the delivery was so masterful. I loved it so much I read the Unauthorized Autobiography; and I've always sat around wondering why he didn't make another series. He wrote the odd book here and there, but nothing else like that.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:15 pm
lilchoma says...

I absolutely ADORE these books :) Snicket's humor reminds me of a more modern, more concise version of Charles Dickens' humor. He's so amazingly and cleverly sarcastic. I LOVE when Snicket diverts from the story to spend five pages talking about nothing of importance, it's positively hilarious. I also think his characters are amazing, even if they are not a major part of each book. Like Mr. Poe, for example. I love how every time Snicket mentions him, there is always some reference to the fact that all Mr. Poe ever does is cough. It makes me laugh so hard!
I mean, I suppose you have to have a certain sense of humor to find these books as amusing as I do. I know a lot of people I talk to just say the books are depressing, and they don't really see the humor in it. But I love this series very very much.
"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody." ~ the catcher in the rye

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:28 am
skutter11 says...

I finished the full series a while back and I thought that The End was a good ending to have. Although, I would like to know what has become of the Quagmires...
"Madness rides the Star wind"

HP Lovecraft. Ironic, no?

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:01 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

HA! The ending. :lol: Nice little series. But.. is Lemony Snicket serious? Is he really in hiding? And for what? I've never gotten around to Googleing him. :P
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

Random avatar

Reviews: 18
Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:07 am
MinisterOfHighHopes says...

I couldn't stop reading these. The book are very well-written. They aren't stupid plots either, they're very thought out and intelligent. But the true genius behind these book is the characters. They are so versatile and smart. I also have to admit the Sunny the baby is the best. I'm also wondering about Snicket. Does anyone know if this stuff is true?

-Minister

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:02 am
extrication says...

I adore these books as well! Actually, Lemony Snicket's real name is Daniel Handler. He plays the accordion (I think he played in the band that produced the soundtrack of the series, the Gothic Archies) and no, Lemony Snicket is a fictional character/nom de plume. The series is written from the point of view of an actual character in the universe, Lemony Snicket. :)

Has anyone noticed how sometimes the words that Sunny spoke (when she was still saying 'nonsense') actually related to the topic at hand? For example, "Busheney" (from The Slippery Slope) means evil. :P
because memory moves in orbits
of absence, because she holds her hands out in the rain,
and rain remembers nothing, not even how it became itself.
- Las Ruinas del Corazon, Eric Gamalinda

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
— Willie Nelson