z

Young Writers Society

Ender's Game

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Thu May 21, 2009 6:35 pm
Rascalover says...

Ok if any of you have read this did you think the ending was a little... strtange? I mean I love the ending until it kind of left on a cliff hanger but then again it wasn't one. What are other's opinions?
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Thu May 21, 2009 6:47 pm
Master_Yoda says...

Ender's Game? Easily one of my top five favorite books. :)

I thought that the ending had a great twist and made you think a lot. I don't know if you know about them, but there are sequels to Ender's Game that clarify one or two of the doubts you might have. The one that takes place immediately after Ender's Game is called Ender in Exile. Speaker for the Dead was the one that Card published after Ender's Game, and is my personal favorite of the sequels. You can read that after Ender's Game, but the styles are completely different.

I still think that Ender's Game is one of the greatest literary masterpieces ever written. ;)

Have a good one!
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

456 Reviews

Thu May 21, 2009 10:51 pm
Rascalover says...

Thank you. See i really liked this book because of the style of writing so if I read Speaker of Death the style of writing will be different?

If so I really wouldn't want to read it. Also is ender in Exile about how the buggers grow again as a species? Or is it about people figuring out Ender helped them?

Thanks and have a good one yourself :)

-tiffany
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sat May 23, 2009 2:08 am
Bickazer says...

In junior high, I read Ender's Game and loved it.

Several years later, I went back to the book and realized it wasn't half as good as I thought it was. I personally think the book is overrated--and its sequel "Speaker for the Dead" underrated. Seriously, "Speaker" is the only one of the connected books which is even worth reading. I now view EG as just setting up Speaker, because it's the only way I can tolerate that book. (And don't even talk to me about the "Ender's Shadow" books...I just pretend they don't exist)

Speaker does take a completely different tone than EG, but it's a much deeper, more philosophical, and emotional tone so it's much better. Maybe I like it because I'm a sucker for first contact stories, and Speaker is one of the best done first contact stories I've ever read. It's just so...so powerful a novel. I have read few novels that inspired so many...different emotions in me. Simply amazing. I firmly believe that when humans do contact another alien race, we will use Speaker for the Dead as a guideline for what to do. It's that powerful.

Read it. You'll probably end up loving it more than Ender's Game. :)
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

456 Reviews

Sat May 23, 2009 5:01 pm
Rascalover says...

I love your description. I shall pick it up and read it :) Thanks

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Sun May 24, 2009 4:12 pm
octocoffee says...

I will definitely agree with Bickazer and Master_Yoda.

Speaker of the Dead is wonderful, clearly better than Ender's Game. Ender's Game certainly feels like a set-up, and the two should be read together. Ender's Game provides the corruption, battle tactics, futuristic battles, and the loss of soul.

Speaker of the Dead saves Ender's Game from being completely depressing. It is this gentle and quiet buildup, a redemption. The styles of writing aren't really that different; it's just that they have different moods and emotions in them. I certainly felt that Ender's Game gave me a hollow feeling when I read it, but it made Speaker all the more impressive.

I'm glad you like Ender's Game though; Speaker should only enhance your appreciation for Orson Scott Card.
...if you are going to step on a live mine, make it your own. Be blown up, as it were, by your own delights and despairs. ~ Ray Bradbury
I Review Everything!

456 Reviews

Mon May 25, 2009 3:08 am
Rascalover says...

Great! :)
Thanks guys!

Reviews: 4
Mon May 25, 2009 4:23 am
collin says...

If you go to Orson Scott's website, there's writing lessons from the author of this book. He even talks about writing Ender's Game. The lessons are really constructive and they're free. For someone who like's this author's style of writing so much, you might like learning from him.

The website is www.hatrackriver.com

Enjoy!

456 Reviews

Mon May 25, 2009 10:43 pm
Rascalover says...

Thank you very much :)

A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity.
— Franz Kafka