18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:23 am
J_Fang says...

A Song of Fire and Ice (series) by George R. R. Martin
Book One: A Game of Thrones
Book Two: A Clash of Kings
Book Three: A Storm of Swords
(There is currently one other book released and a fifth on the way, however, the books took a dramatic downturn for me and I will not be reading the two newest installments or the others beyond them at least not for a while.)

It's an Adult Fantasy series based out of the fictional world of Westeros.

The main characters (that's right there's about 7 by book 3 and as the books progress so do the main characters shift) revolve around the House Stark originally and their rise and eventual fall in power.

Each chapter is actually a switch in POV to another character, and at times the books regress in time to points happening simotainiously although they are easy to see.

It can be a bit difficult to adjust to the constant switch of PoV's and I could often hardly wait to read about particular characters and their views. The books can be a little over graphic (sexually) at times (for my taste) although it isn't very often that this happens (until book three).

**The biggest thing for me with these books, is the fact that George R. R. Martin made me HATE him for what he does to various characters large and small. And it's those reasons that I absolutely love his work. He did a fantastic job at making me be so emotionally drawn into the characters giving me a sense of loss and desperation at certain points and hope and happiness at others that I have to recomend these books.

Warning: He did such a good job at making me despise the situation of characters and the villains, that by book three I had to put the book down and almost didn't finish it. By the time I did though I refused to read on through book four or beyond.**

There is soo much to each of these books and they are all so deeply tied together it's hard to really break down the plots into summaries that make much sense, but here's my (poor) attempt at it.

Simplistic (and vague) Breakdown:

The Family Stark rules over the north lands and is one of the several major houses to rule since the Ursurper King took command of the continent of Westeros.

The books detail the experiences of each of the members of the Family Stark and slowly adds in views outside the family including their arch-enemies the Lannisters.

Book One: A Game of Thrones, deals mainly with the Starks and how Eddard (ned) Stark is summoned by a long time friend the Ursurper King Robert Baratheon to be his new hand and dives straight away into a murder mystery dealing with Robert's former hand and their mutual friend. The mystery is a major theme throughout the books finally being explored fully (I think) in book 3: A Storm of Swords.

It delves into romances that are thrust upon people by outside forces namely the girl Danyers Targaryen and how they are dealt with.

It goes into great detail about the subtle manuevers and betrayl's of a number of cast members and as a result becomes quite intense from a political standpoint.

Book Two: A Clash of Kings, certain events left unfinished are explained or come to fruition and Politics become the primary theme. Namely how all of the betrayals and lies begin to tear apart the Kingdom of Westeros.

The Stark family is still the main focus of the series at this point and Danyers' story is (while less important overall--is beginning to affect the main course of the books). Supernatural elements are reintroduced beyond the original prologue of A Game of Thrones.

The Lannisters and the Starks have reached the boiling point and with the sudden de-stability in the political structure that happens in Book One the bubble ultimately bursts and chaos begins. The plots thicken and it becomes harder and harder to tell just who is the true enemy with so many lines blurred.

Book Three: A Storm of Swords, the majority of the events built up come to an end and it was at this point where it felt like the true story and focus of the novels really was meant to end, but for reasons unknown to me the books were altered to continue (but that is just my personal view).

At this point politics still reign supreme and I often wondered if each characters chapter would be their last. Though the supernatural presence really begins to ramp up. Most likely the main character John Snow is moving faster and faster into adult hood with no options to back away. Often torn by decisions that are bad at best and horrendous at worst he struggles to survive and keep his loyalties to each group/person as opposing as they are providing a roll-a-coaster of emotion.

Each of these books provided me with a roll-a-coaster of emotions running the entire gamut. :?

Sorry if I did poorly to give a good impression of the books, but I had to recommend them at least.

Patience is the strength of the weak, impatience is the weakness of the strong.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher