z

Young Writers Society

Noughts and Crosses sequence

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:39 pm
Sanareth says...

Anyone else read these? There's four books in the sequence, but any description of the later books will spoil the end of the one before it, I'm afraid.
Basically, the setting is a world still ruled by segregation/apartheid, execpt blacks (called Crosses, whites are known as Noughts) are the majority. The seires follows the lives of Sephy, a Cross, Callum, a Nought, and (from the second book onwards) their mixed-race daughter, Callie Rose. Recurring subjects include forbidden love, terrorism, and bad decisions.
Although I started by talking about the concept, the books are very character-based. So if it sounds too pollitical for you, it probably won't be in reality. :)

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:07 pm
Dark Eyed Pixie says...

I love these. My friend bought the first one for my birthday, and i've read them all. it's a really good series!
Meet me here beneath the burning skies....

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:09 pm
sadbhp says...

I think I'll read these. I read her book 'tell me no lies' and i loved it so I'l see if I like these as much as the other one I read. Thanks :]

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:09 pm
Cotton says...

A bit late, but I've read these books and, even though I found book 2 and especially book 3 hard to read because of the hard subject matter (whoa me for super vocab!), I thought they were brilliant. The fourth one came out like a month earlier than I thought, and not only that (since I'd been anticipating it so much) I got a signed copy!! And so did my friend, which was great. Anyone else reading this should read them too. It puts a whole new slant on an old-yet-now issue, with some truly fabulous and believable characters.
Here's a story of a brother by the name of Othello,
He liked white women and he liked - green jello... - Reduced Shakespeare Company

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:49 am
View Likes
Maddyc says...

I loved the first three, but the last one was a bit of a disappointment. She didn't intend to write four when she started and I think the series was nice and complete by number 3 and it didn't need any more. Also I thought Toby went a bit lame in the last book.

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:23 pm
Jetpack says...

Yeah, I think a trilogy is almost always enough. I hate series with several books, because the idea rots as more and more books try to squeeze as much as they can out of it. I can't think of any series where the first book was blown out of the water by number sixteen, or whatever. Can anyone?

I hate myself for reading that fourth one, but I couldn't help it, since the first three were so good. I think it was obviously supposed to be a trilogy, though.

If all pulled in one direction, the world would keel over.
— Yiddish proverb