z

Young Writers Society

Twilight

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:36 am
Flower~Child says...

Maybe but I see errors in everything now a days.
My reality comes to a close as I once again realize that you don't love me, and even if I love you with my everything you will never care.

Reviews: 3
Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:24 am
Cheshire-Writer says...

I know what you mean, sometimes it's hard to just read a book. Now that I've started to learn about writing I've begun to see mistakes in everything. For example I used to really like the Inhertiance series but now I realize that its not really great at all. I guess tthis comes back to the saying 'Live and Learn' right? :roll:

321 Reviews

Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:33 pm
Flower~Child says...

Yeah I guess, but I'd rather be stupid and love books than be smart and hate them all haha.
My reality comes to a close as I once again realize that you don't love me, and even if I love you with my everything you will never care.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:55 pm
Cheshire-Writer says...

Ha ha yeah ignorance is bliss :roll: At least sometimes it is, I like to know what I'm reading but everyones differnt.

321 Reviews

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:25 pm
Flower~Child says...

Haha I do to, but even when I read InkHeart I always imagined Dustfinger with black hair. so maybe it is just me haha. I like a lot of books with different styles but I don't maybe I am weird for liking Twilight.

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:30 pm
pinkangel54123 says...

I won't lie I loved Twilight. I loved it because of Jacob. He seemed like an actual person not just a figment of Stephenie's imagination. I tried to re-read Twilight earlier this month out of summer-time boredom, but I just couldn't find what I liked in it. When I first read it the beginning was boring and i kept putting the book down to find something else to do. I even cleaned my room to get away from having to read it. Anyway after awhile I guess I just fell into the Twilight fandom which everyone else and had my mind clouded with all the supposed sparkly greatness of the entire saga. They were generally okay, but I thought Breaking Dawn was such a stupid book that I just can't read it again. It ended so sappily ever after and I got sick of fairy tale endings when I was 6. So thats that.
Want a heavenly review?

GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:56 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

I read Twilight. I read New moon. Then Eclipse, and then Breaking Dawn. Right now, I still like those. Sure, I do agree with the over description of the guy, the basic plot. I disliked the end. It should have stayed by new Moon. Eclipse was something very forgetful, and Breaking Dawn reached ridiculous.

Twilight is not that bad. I recently read The Host, and I think is much better. I loved it! And now compared to Twilight, I see Twilight was like a first experience, where Stephenie Meyer was not that bad. I have never read The Vampire Chronicles, or how ever those are called, but by what i read on this it's a serie for another kind of audience. Getting obsessed over this is too much, and getting obsessed over hating it, is also too much. If people don't like it, then why are they posting at threads like this? Only to waste time on talking about something they don't like. I hate spiders. But I don't go around searching for them... :roll:
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:37 pm
Cheshire-Writer says...

*writewatiwant* wrote:I read Twilight. I read New moon. Then Eclipse, and then Breaking Dawn. Right now, I still like those. Sure, I do agree with the over description of the guy, the basic plot. I disliked the end. It should have stayed by new Moon. Eclipse was something very forgetful, and Breaking Dawn reached ridiculous.

Twilight is not that bad. I recently read The Host, and I think is much better. I loved it! And now compared to Twilight, I see Twilight was like a first experience, where Stephenie Meyer was not that bad. I have never read The Vampire Chronicles, or how ever those are called, but by what i read on this it's a serie for another kind of audience. Getting obsessed over this is too much, and getting obsessed over hating it, is also too much. If people don't like it, then why are they posting at threads like this? Only to waste time on talking about something they don't like. I hate spiders. But I don't go around searching for them... :roll:

Twilight's popular so people tend to see it every where and it often comes up in conversation. Everyone who's heard of it has their own opinion of the series. This topic was made by someone who didn't like it, so why are all the fans commenting? They have their opinions on it, and so do the people who didn't like it.

I want to be a novelist so I tend to analyze books to find what's good and what's bad about them, which has really helped me improve my writing, so I tend to read popular books to find out why they're so popular.

Either way, everyone is titled to their own opinion and has the right to share it.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:19 am
~Volant~ says...

Flower~Child wrote:Haha I do to, but even when I read InkHeart I always imagined Dustfinger with black hair. so maybe it is just me haha.

I always imagined him with redish-brown hair. You know, a russet color? XD I dunno why.

I hated Twilight, personally.

a) Romance fans tend to love this book, for obvious reasons. But hard-core fantasy fans, like me, tend to despise it with every fiber of our being. Vampires are supposed to be awful, awaesome, awe-inspiring, fearsome, frightening, and vicious monsters of the night. That is their beauty, and we love it. Meyer, however, has corrupted that image, and made her vampires into sparkling sex objects to lust over. It's disgusting, and I am highly disturbed.

b) People who are more plot-oriented love this book, because her flow and wording is exquisite. However, character-oriented people, like me, hate it. Her characters are weak and shallow, with no development at all. And they all word everything the exact same way when they talk.
Where are we going?

Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:08 am
Cheshire-Writer says...

~Volant~ wrote:
Flower~Child wrote:Haha I do to, but even when I read InkHeart I always imagined Dustfinger with black hair. so maybe it is just me haha.

I always imagined him with redish-brown hair. You know, a russet color? XD I dunno why.

I hated Twilight, personally.

a) Romance fans tend to love this book, for obvious reasons. But hard-core fantasy fans, like me, tend to despise it with every fiber of our being. Vampires are supposed to be awful, awaesome, awe-inspiring, fearsome, frightening, and vicious monsters of the night. That is their beauty, and we love it. Meyer, however, has corrupted that image, and made her vampires into sparkling sex objects to lust over. It's disgusting, and I am highly disturbed.

b) People who are more plot-oriented love this book, because her flow and wording is exquisite. However, character-oriented people, like me, hate it. Her characters are weak and shallow, with no development at all. And they all word everything the exact same way when they talk.

I have to say that I agree with all of this. Except that I'm actually pretty plot oriented but Twilight had no real plot. It was just a bunch of angst ,suspense that built up to nothing, flowery prose sprinkled every where, and ridiculous ideas passing for originality.

93 Reviews

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:48 pm
View Likes
~Volant~ says...

Cheshire Writer wrote:I have to say that I agree with all of this. Except that I'm actually pretty plot oriented but Twilight had no real plot. It was just a bunch of angst ,suspense that built up to nothing, flowery prose sprinkled every where, and ridiculous ideas passing for originality.

Amen, sistah.
Where are we going?

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:58 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Alright. I read Twilight about..two maybe three years ago, I believe. I continued the series and just...treated it like any other book. The first time I thought it was okay. It wasn't a favorite and I didn't hate it, I jut thought it was okay.

I read it again. I think I almost vomited. I really despise. Twilight. If Meyer got published than any person on this site can get published, easily. Personally I think Meyer has about half a brain, and the half she does have is about suckering teenage girls with perfect boys, that they know is impossible to have. Seriously.
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

93 Reviews

Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:29 pm
~Volant~ says...

XD I think it might be a bit harsh to say she has half a brain. I think she could be an excellent writer, if she just learned how to plot, how to develop characters, and how to write dialog. I mean, she writes very similar to how I wrote when I was in seventh grade.

It just bugs me that everyone is obsessing over a sucky book, and that real good authors remain in the shadows where no one can appreciate them. :(
Where are we going?

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:00 am
Jassie says...

Many people who are interested in writing or have taken creative writing classes either in high school OR college might know one very important rule in writing a good book:
1. Not everyone should be happy in the end of a book.

When someone dies, or a character loses something and the book ends in an interesting way, it actually makes the book better.

I've "killed off" some favorite characters of mine in my short stories to enhance the story and make it better.

Think of JK Rowling... how many people has she killed in her famous serious Harry Potter?
Yes there was a happy ending.. but not every single person Harry met was able to enjoy that happiness with him, right?

I was extremely disappointed in the Twilight series. In my opinion, Stephenie Meyer got very lazy when writing the last book and the ending sucked.

That's just my opinion, some people loved the series, beginning to end.
But us writers... not so much. (Although many of you may say otherwise)

I just want to suggest that nobody here does an ending like Twilight. Please. I'm BEGGING you lol
I want to see everyone here succeed in their writing, not become a sell-out or lazy novelist.
Nobody wants to read a book that the author didn't love writing beginning to end, right?

Love,
Jassie.

P.S.
I think the ending sucked so much because after she realized she had something good going and the money was flowing in, she wouldn't have to do anything to make the ending special because she was relying on the fact that she had so many fans that would definitely buy her book. And THAT my friends is L-A-M-E. lol...

P.P.S.
I know people are saying that everyone who complains about Twilight are just jealous of Stephanie Meyer and her riches and fame and everything and that we just envy her.
That is NOT the case with me. People who do envy her.. I don't understand.
Nobody should envy anyone. Everyone has their own unique self.
I think I am a good writer. I'm not being egotistical. Everyone on this website who writes stories should have confidence in themselves to say that they are good at writing. There is no need to envy her.
And I actually feel sorry that Meyer fell into that trap. Her story ending could have been different.
With Meyer's case... maybe she's dreamed of being a writer since she was a child... maybe she's been writing stories her entire life.
BUT... maybe she never took creative writing classes, picked up a Write Your Own Story book, or even compared herself to other author's writing.
That's what we do to become better, right?
Maybe she never did that... and I feel sorry for her if she didn't.
No, I don't like her writing style.. it disappoints me. But I would never envy her. Not even for a million dollars.
I love my writing style and I'm sticking with it. The reason I don't like hers is because it doesn't seem author-ish.

Note: I hate damsel in distress stories.. and because of that I didn't actually read Twilight. But I have a sister who loved it and we share books we like all the time. And she happened to pretty much tell me the ENTIRE Twilight series broken up in 4 different conversations (after she read each book)
And when she told me the ending to the last book I wanted to scream. I had to telling her the entire time how much I disliked the story but that was my opinion.

In a nutshell, I just wish Meyer could have done things a little bit more creatively.
I'm not envious of her because I think I'm writing an awesome story right now and I'm not going to stop until I get it published, even if I have to publish it myself. :]
"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
-Cyril Connolly
For more of my tutorials: http://myspace.keonnected.com/jsimms/en/index.html

Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:09 am
Cheshire-Writer says...

Thank you Jassie for clearing up the whole jealousy mess. I honestly couldn't be jealous of her for writing that series because I wouldn't want to be known for writing something that amatuer. Besides I like my writing, I work hard when I write, and I'm damn proud of it.

It's easier to come up with new stories than it is to finish the ones you already have. I think every author would feel that way.
— Stephanie Meyer