z

Young Writers Society

Lord of The Rings or Harry Potter?

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:07 am
hekategirl says...

Personally I like Harry Potter better, I tried reading LOTR many times but only got so far, it just doesn't have the way to grasp me. But which do YOU like better? and why?
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:11 am
dreaming_mouse says...

At the moment Harry Potter, I tried to read LOTR last year but I think the films plus everything going on put me off. The films are just boring, when I went to see the first one I'd had my navel pierced a few hours earlier so sitting crouched for three or so hours was absolute agony - plus someone kept sniffing every ten seconds throughout the whole film. When I tried reading the book I had my GCSEs plus all these ideas for crappy stories I had to get down. Hopefully after I get my results I might be able to concentrate on the books more then so hopefully I'll read them soon.

Harry Potter I like because as the more books they are they do get more appealing for the older readers. When I read the first one it was like "oh my god I'm reading a kid's book" but the sixth one was more adult so it was easier to read.

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:19 am
hekategirl says...

Even though your 6 years older then me I have to agree that I like the newer ones (Oder of the Phenoix, Half Blood Prince) because their getting more adult and more intresting.
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:48 am
Sam says...

Harry. I personally can't stand LOTR. *shudder*
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:52 am
niteowl says...

I think the storyline of LOTR is good, but the description is sooooooooooooooooo long and boring. I fell asleep three times reading "The Siege Of Gondor" which is the big battle scene in RoTK. And did he really need 4-5 chapters that basically are "They went back to The Shire"?

Harry Potter all the way.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:13 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

The story of Lord of the Rings is awesome, perhaps even awesomer than Harry Potter, but at the same time, I like the Harry Potter books better. Why? To the point, and the descriptions are more clear-cut.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:09 pm
Rei says...

I like both. But I guess Tolkien was a little too long winded at times. You don't really need most of the background mythology and history he includes. Then again he wasn't a real author and had no time for doing revisions. If he had, it probably would have turned out differently. Still, his books are something special. Harry Potter is nothing special It just seems that way because of the massive success it has had.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:03 am
JesseJames says...

They're both extremely special.
Nothing against you reichieru (you have a cool cat pic and you have very constructive comments)
I think I personally prefer LOTR myself. But the end of the last HP book left me spellbound!
It's really tight!
But LOTR is still my fave, plus they made way better movies!

Reviews: 1
Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:20 pm
purifier says...

I like them both about equally. I honestly can't say one is better than the other, though I think Harry Potter is easier to pick up and read than LOTR. I read all of the LOTR books twice in one month, and it was a chore. I'm re-reading all six of the HP books now, and it's a lot easier, and I always seem to notice things I didn't before (or I just forgot them). I thought the sixth book was really good, it was also very funny at times (made me laugh out loud), but the ending made me cry.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:34 am
Jennafina says...

It all depends on which books. book two of the lord of the rings was exeptionally dull. It spent like eight paged discribing Erond's ears. Actually not really, but I think you get it...

As a whole, I like Harry Potter. The end of book 6 made me cry too.

Everyone who likes Harry Potter should post in my favorite charecter/favorite book/charecter most likely to get killed in book 7 poll. It's in the lounge.

Sorry, that was off topic.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:00 am
antigone says...

Call me shallow, but I couldn't get past the first chapter in LOTR. The movies are awesome though! Way better than the Harry Potter movies, which kind of sucked. But with the books there's no contest. Harry Potter is extremely special. I cried at the end of the last book too. DUMBLEDORE!! *sobs*
Siempre, siempre: jardin de mi agonia,
tu cuerpo fugitivo para siempre,
la sangre de tus venas en mi boca,
tu boca ya sin luz para mi muerte.

-From 'Del amor imprevisto', Federico Garcia Lorca

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:47 pm
Akisha says...

I prefer the Harry Potter books. I got half way through the LOTR and gave up, but that was when I was 10 or 11 so I might have another go at It.

I LOVED the Hobbit. I got this cool one with awesome illustrations in the library. I think the Hobbit is a lot better than LOTR. Simply because its more bearable to read.

But overall...HP is the winner. I got so upset when Dumbledore died. :cry: :cry: :cry: :( I cried a lot. J.K. Rowling makes Harry's world seem so realistic and I grew very attached to quite a few of the characters, including Dumbledore. This didn't happen at all to me when reading LOTR.

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:32 am
J. Wilder says...

books: I prefer Harry Potter

movies: I prefer Lord of the Rings

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:43 pm
Jennafina says...

I agree with everyone else about the movies. The Harry Potter cast seam like they were picked for their looks.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:30 pm
Sponson Light says...

Hobbit > Hp in books
LOTR > HP in movies.
Never read lotr series.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

"What is a poet? An unhappy person who hides deep anguish in his heart, but whose lips are so formed that when the sigh and cry pass through them, it sounds like lovely music."
— Søren Kierkegaard, Philosopher & Theologian