z

Young Writers Society

The Kiterunner

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:56 pm
Incognito says...

I just thought I should put this out there. I just finished reading The Kiterunner by Khaled Hosseini and I was blown away. It is a foreign book but it was unforgettable. It was really thought provocing and entrancing. It showed the misery and pain that people in Afganistan went through after being infiltrated by the Soveit Union and then getting their hopes up when the Soveit Union got run out of the country just to be brought back to destruction and pain by the Taliban. It is an extremely haunting book.

I recommend it to people who like the tragic stories and can take some of the themes in that book. It was riveting and genuine. It was moving and unexpected. I just finished this book and it nearly brought me to tears.

There is also a movie based on the book somewhere and I plan on watching that soon.

Again I recommend it and if you already read it, I would like to know your own personal thoughts of that book.

~Incognito Temptation
'Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some just abuse the priviledge.'

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:25 pm
Lauren says...

My mum has this book and raves about it. She's always lending it out to her friends like it's the best thing ever. Apparently it's a beautiful but sad book. I'm tempted to read it, but perhaps it's out of my comfort zone.
There's also a film of it out now, you know.

Incognito Temptation, my mother had also read Hosseini's much acclaimed other novel, A Thousand Splendid Suns. Apparently it's just as good. About the Taliban, I think. You should probably read that if you loved the Kite Runner.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:35 pm
Suzuhara says...

I read the Kite Runner as well and just like you I was taken away. It's an incredible novel that grips you from beginning to end. I really enjoyed it! I haven't seen the movie yet, but I think I'll be sure to give it a chance. I tend to shy away from movies of books I enjoyed.
With tears in my eyes and blood in my hands, I pull through and conquer my fears. ~Zackaria Kato

Please check out my blog: sammysuzuhara.blogspot.com

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:30 am
Lava says...

AMAZING!!
Yeah, I agree with you. It's splendid. I loved the entire book.

By the way, have you read "A thousand splendid suns?"
It's an equally amazing book by Khaled Hosseini.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:12 pm
StellaThomas says...

Actually, I... wasn't that fussed. I read A Thousand Splendid Suns first and I absolutely adored it. It was fantastic, beautiful, heartbreaking and triumphant.

But the Kite Runner... I don't know. I just... I think it was so hyped up and when I was reading it a friend passed me a note saying "Are you crying yet?" He even admitted he teared up -and he's a manly man! But I just sort of finished it and thought "What's all the fuss about?"

A Thousand Splendid Suns was brilliant. The Kite Runner... I don't know, it didn't do it for me. A lot of people also mentioned that it's much more of a boy's and men's book, although I notice all of the above posters are female so... I don't know. It just didn't work for me.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:20 pm
Alainna says...

I made the fatal mistake of reading this book on a busy beach - tearing up in public is never good.

I think there was a bit too much hype for this book. Yes, it was good, thought provoking and I did learn several things from it, but it wasn't 'amazing'. I loved the honesty of it, though and the fact that it didn't have a modern fairytale ending.

I would recommend it - in fact, a friend has borrowed it off of me and is currently reading it.

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:36 am
Night Mistress says...

It was a really good book because it made me cry and book hardly even made me cry.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:37 am
bookslug:) says...

I think A Thousand Splendid Suns was better...but I get a bit bored by tragedy after tragedy after tragedy...
I'm not a vegeterian because I hate animals; I am because I hate plants.

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:32 pm
Incognito says...

I think I may look into this Thousand Splendid Suns because if it is indeed better than Kitrunner than it must be a must read for me. I just really enjoyed this novel because I am a sap for tragedies shall we say. I tend to read those more than any other kind of book because for some odd reason I enjoy it more. I think it is because I seem to have a twisted and bizarre mind.

I am glad most of you liked Kiterunner. Do you people know any other books like that other that Thousand Splendid Suns, because I know for sure they will be on my next to read list.
'Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some just abuse the priviledge.'

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:07 pm
WaterVyper says...

I haven't read it yet... Gonna be reading it next year for the class novel study, but I wonder how much it would spite my teacher if I were to read it now? ... That settles it, I'm going to go read it. Besides, I've heard about the tragedies. The other students (in ninth grade) already spoiled everything, really.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:56 pm
Master_Yoda says...

Hi Everyone

I thought the Kite Runner was a brilliant work of literary genius, and was blown away by its depth and attention to detail with regard to emotions and the like. A Thousand Splendid Suns was also good, but I didn't think it was quite up to the standard of The Kite Runner. It's still a worthwhile read though.

:)
Have a good one!
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

I want to do with you what spring does with the cherry trees.
— Pablo Neruda