z

Young Writers Society

The Classics and Philosophy thread

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:03 pm
CastlesInTheSky says...

Oh dear. :oops: Methink's I've started up a Charlotte vs Emily war. Though I must say, as before, my loyalties still lie with Charlotte. Sorry Kirsten! But Emily is second-favourite. There's your consolation, dahlin. ^_^

EM Forster's A Room With A View.

OMG Stella, you're the first person who's read that! xDD It was indeed adorable, I finished it about a week ago.
And I'm reading Mansfield Park at the moment.
Had I the heavens embroider'd cloths,
I would spread the cloths under your feet.
But I being poor, have only my dreams,
So tread softly, for you tread on my life.

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:10 pm
Lost_in_dreamland says...

Methink's I've started up a Charlotte vs Emily war. Though I must say, as before, my loyalties still lie with Charlotte. Sorry Kirsten! But Emily is second-favourite. There's your consolation, dahlin. ^_^
That is not a consolation !!!!!
Never! Emily is hundreds of times better, hehehe :D I shall start a poll ;)
xD
for what are we without words and stories?

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:24 am
Medusa says...

Oscar Wilde is delicious. I adore edgar allen poe, also. I'm so glad someone loves Rebecca too! Wooo! But dickens is awesome.

Philophy: jung is great, along with confucious (although he was anti-feminist), and plato.

Classics: alexandre dumas, one flew over the cuckoo's nest, ernest hemmingway, virginia woolf, modern classics like Capote, etc.

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:35 pm
Merry_Haven says...

Classics, huh? I've read a few and I'm planning to read more.

One I did not like at all (I'm not going to say, hate) was...Willa Cather's My Antonia. I had to read it for last years Am. Lit. class. It was so boring and I felt it dragged on. I'm not huge for prairie life.

I'm not going to say Austen because I have too many opinions on her novels.

I read half of Jane Eyre, and my mom keeps on bugging me to finish it. But! I will. If I had to choose between Jane Eyre & Wuthering Heights, it'll probabaly be Jane Eyre. I just didn't like Wuthering Heights, I guess it's not me. Talking about the Bronte's, has anybody read Anne Bronte's (I think this is right) The Tenant of Wildfell Hall? I would like to read it, but would love to have someone's opinion on it.

Anyway, this are the classics I would love to read...sorry, Kristen. I haven't read much classics and need opinions on these. Is that alright? And hopefully this is the start of something new!

*Bram Stoker's Dracula ~ Oscar Wilde's Picture of Dorian Gray ~ Robert L. Stevenson's Treasure Island (is that a children's classic?) & Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde

*Ann Radcliffe's Mysteries of Udolpho (I'm huge for Gothic literature!! For instance ~ Northanger Abbey) ~ Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters & Cranford ~ E.M. Forster's A Room with a view (I have the book in my room)

*Alexandre Dumas's Three Musketeers & The Man in the Iron Mask ~ Winifred Watson's Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day ~ Victor Hugo's Hunchback of Notre Dame and Daniel Defoe's Moll Flanders. Oh and the novel Daniel Deronda. I don't know the author to that one.

I'm sure there's more wonderful classics out there, that I forgot about. Opinions. Opinions. And more Opinions one these classics will be most helpful! Thank you!!

*Merry
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:40 pm
KnightlyAngel09 says...

Aw. Wuthering Heights was awesome! But Jane Eyre was great as well. Can't choose between those two, they're both great.

I love Jane Austen.:) But I did not like Sense and Sensibility. The heroine was way to silly and obnoxious and whiny for me. Marianne Dashwood? Pssh...

And to anyone who has not read Les Miserables by Victor Hugo please read it. It is the most awesome book ever.

Philosophy? Sophie's World was an interesting book to read.
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you.:)

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:23 am
Trikky says...

Oh man, My Antonia. That book sucked. It's just one of those "Why would I care about this?" books.

But yes, classics are awesome! That's why they're classics...

Anyway, I always like classic scifi/horror, but if we're talking about regular classics, I'd say my favorite is The Odyssey. I read it in fifth grade, and then in seventh, and then in ninth, and then eleventh. I guess that makes it every two years. It's like my Bible. Odysseus is the ultimate adventurer, and I think that's what draws me back to the book over and over... also, there's more I understand each time I read it as I have new experiences in my life, so that's fun too. ^^
"God is dead." -Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead." -God

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:48 am
Lauren says...

Merry_Haven wrote:
Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters & Cranford

Ooh, Merry, I command you to add 'North and South' to that list. It is the ultimate Gaskell novel. And you absolutely must watch the BBC adaptation, for I promise you will fall in love with Richard Armitage. :smt060

*surprised scream* Aaaaah, NaNo!
— spottedpebble