z

Young Writers Society

Cell by Stephen King?

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:58 pm
scasha says...

Hey Everyone!
I just finished reading Cell by Stephen King! I was skeptical at first because I've never been one who enjoys horror books, but I was pleasantly surprised. Although the book itself was definitley scary, I absolutley loved it! It was well written and suspenseful and the author was always one step ahead of me, which I thought was really important! I would give it 10/10 if I could. What did all of you think?

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:25 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

I read Cell.

I was looking for a good scare, but what I found instead was a cliche apocalyptic novel. Like all Stephen King books, the book needed to be about 100 pages shorter. It started out excellent- with violence, blood and confusion. The story quickly went downhill when king put in supernatural elements such as the telepathic powers of the phoners.

Most of the book was the characters walking and making stupid decisions. They freak out when the phoners begin to evolve, which I would view as a good sign. Clay's desparate search for his son is annoying and pointless. The whole time the group walked around I was just about shouting, "FIND A &*#! CAR!"

The ending was horrible. The MC's basically doom civilization by defeating the phoners. The book left me with many questions. Why was the signal put out in the first place?

I felt King knew that his book was rather cliched, so he put in a lot of gore to make up for it. The gore seemed forced and I could tell it was put in as a filler.

5/10

I much prefer his phsycological horror such as "Pet Sematary" and 'The Shining"
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:56 pm
bc3553 says...

Stephen King is by far my favorite author out there. but some of his new stuff really hasn't done it for me. i read cell expecting (okay, half-expecting) some sort of new version of The Stand (my favorite book) but what i got was a great beginning and a let down of an ending. like i said, most of his newer stuff really hasn't done it for me. Lisey's Story i found to be painful. Duma Key (his newest) was actually pretty good, nothing like his classics though. Cell was a letdown for me. i could understand how you liked it if it was your first king book, but try some of his older ones like The Shining and The Stand. those are amazing.

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:58 pm
View Likes
bc3553 says...

Stephen King is by far my favorite author out there. but some of his new stuff really hasn't done it for me. i read cell expecting (okay, half-expecting) some sort of new version of The Stand (my favorite book) but what i got was a great beginning and a let down of an ending. like i said, most of his newer stuff really hasn't done it for me. Lisey's Story i found to be painful. Duma Key (his newest) was actually pretty good, nothing like his classics though. Cell was a letdown for me. i could understand how you liked it if it was your first king book, but try some of his older ones like The Shining and The Stand. those are amazing.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:41 am
alleycat13 says...

I enjoyed Cell. I disagree with Haruno Sakura, who said that it needed to be shorter. Stephen King is known for how long and indepth his stories are, for how much character development he puts in. I agree with bc3553 that his newer stuff isn't as good as his other works. I definitlely suggest reading The Stand if you liked Cell. (maybe even read the exteneded version that's over 1000 pages lol).
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:18 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

No. Dear God. Do not read the 1000 page version of The Stand as I did.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue May 12, 2009 1:32 pm
Phantomofthebasket says...

Ooh, come on Antigone Cadmus...
I don't think I could read any other version of The Stand...
I absolutely LOVED that book... for that one (unlike many others, I have to agree) does not and absolutely CANNOT be shortened.
The characters are soooo well developed and what he describes them doing is things that could and would truly happen.

The Cell, however (the whole reason FOR this thread... haha, oops) was okay. I certainly didn't like it as well as I was hoping...
Three fourths into the book and I was bored to tears with it.
Phantom's Contest Basket <--Make me happy and join my contest! Due date: August 15th!
Phantom's Reviewing Basket <--Need a review? Go here and ask!

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:27 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

I am not the hugest fan of Stephen King... maybe something is horribly awry with my sense of horror, but I haven't been frightened with any of his books yet.
The plot I had no trouble with; the characters I despised. I don't remember why exactly, the details are all rumpled and thrown in with each other; but I remember a shoe. I remember the girl who carried the shoe and I remember hating her.
And the ending was unsatisfying. I felt like I had read the book and gotten nothing out of it.
I loved pet sematary; but it didn't frighten me at all. And the father-son relationship seemed much more believable in Pet Sematary than in this.
It wasn't a bad book; it just wasn't any good.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:19 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

Cell was the first Stephen King book I finished. I liked it. :D

For some reason I pictured the lead Phoner as Morgan Freeman. :lol: It was pretty cool visualizing it that way. A nice fast paced read. :smt023

After Cell I read IT. That was a very long book, over a thousand pages! But I devoured every word of it. :smt106

- :smt059
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:11 am
Laurence Branson says...

I don't know why but I never actually find Stephen King books scary. I become more interested in how clever King is in making his stories scary. The only book of his that was horrorful for me was Pet Sematary and King admits himself that he thinks it is the scariest he has written.

Regarding Cell, yes, I have read it. It was a pretty good read but probably not my favourite work of his. It was very well written but the storyline and the whole complex was a bit shallow - people dying from phones?
My favourite is probably the Shining. Now that is a unique story and also incorporates some supernatural elements. Much, much, much better than the movie. I don't understand why the movie received such rave reviews.

EDIT: Just found out Stephen King is writing a sequel to the Shining. Woot! :)
The worse thing I can be is the same as everybody else.
A.S.

I was weeping as much for him as her; we do sometimes pity creatures that have none of the feeling either for themselves or others.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights