z

Young Writers Society

Noughts and Crosses Trilogy

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:12 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

Has anyone else read Malorie Blackman's Noughts and Crosses trilogy? My English teacher recommended me and some friends read it and we were all in tears at the end of the first book, but I didn't realise it was a trilogy until I found the second one in a shop last year :roll:.

All three books focus on racism where white people are put down as the second class citizens - it makes you think about the smallest things like the colour of plasters. How they're made to blend in with pale skin colours but in this book they're made to blend in with darker skins.

Noughts and Crosses: This is the first book which introduces you to the main characters, it's not a book for people who don't like tragedies though as the whole trilogy is full of them. I can guarantee you'll need tissues when reading these, especially the end of this book.

Knife Edge: The second book focuses on the main character from the first one and the family of the second (I'm trying not to give things away here but I don't think it's working sorry.) Instead of giving you an abrupt tear jerker ending like the first book this one leaves you on a cliff hanger.

Checkmate: This is the last book, I havn't read it yet but a friend of mine was telling me and another about it at dinner the other day. It sounds as dramatic as the first two and she said you'll be crying, me and Charlotte were sitting at the table with our mouths hanging open when she was telling us about it and were both nearly in tears just by talking about it. :roll:

As well as focusing on racism the books focus on social statuses, terroism, suicides and diesease. Amazon put this book in the childrens category but I would have said it's more of a book for teens and older readers because of the issues it focuses on and the events taking place. I would recommend it to say someone under 9/10.

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:46 pm
Muse says...

I LOVED these books. Best read of the year so far. I just recently got the third one and thought it was brilliant. It had such a good ending, but there were quite a few loose ends that I really want to find out about!! I would also recommend them to anyone..they are fab. Yay!!
"Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish,
A vapour sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory,
With trees upon't that nod unto the world,And mock our eyes with air.."

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:22 pm
Djinni says...

Yes!!

I love all three books!! It's a little sad Callum was hanged... :( A very good read I give all three books 8/10. :thumb:

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:49 pm
Fool says...

I've read the first two of these and i didn't like them much. It was an interesting story but i didn't like the way it was written. I cant make up my mind to either get Checkmate or not, to read to find out what happens and subject myself to a style of writing i dont like, or not to?

But the story was interesting
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

I don't suffer from stress. I am a carrier.

Why do we only rest in peace? Why don't we live in peace too?
— Alison Billet