z

Young Writers Society

Help!

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:26 pm
sofi says...

Hello!

So, basically I have a friend who really likes to read and I was thinking of getting him a book for Christmas...

He really likes biographies and non fiction about real life situations rather than fiction for example he loved Papillon by Henri Chari (i think that's who it's by) and books about what it's like to be a soldier etc or recently he read a book about what it's like to live in some notorious prison in Brazil or something and it was writen by a man who was released from there, things like that. Or i think he'd like something like the diary of someone who sailed around the world or flew around the world on their own or climbed Mt. Everest or something.

I don't really read books like that so if anyone has read one which they thought was good which they could recommend for me to get for him then that would be really great!

Thanks! :D

Sofi.
'Don't you just love these long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour but a little bit of Eternity dropped into your hands- and who knows what to do with it?'
T.W.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:53 pm
Master_Yoda says...

Hi Sofi,

I'm not sure if he would have read Lance Armstrong's book -- It's not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life, but its a really nice book, and really is inspirational, and amazing.

Good Luck 8)

68 Reviews

Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:15 pm
sofi says...

It's funny you should mention that one because that's the one I was going to get him but then someone told me that he already read it :(

Thank you for taking the time to recommend it though, I appreciate it!

Anyone else know of any books? I'd really appreciate any help! :D
'Don't you just love these long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour but a little bit of Eternity dropped into your hands- and who knows what to do with it?'
T.W.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:45 pm
Rosendorn says...

I own a biography called Terry Fox, His Story. It looks really good.

Another one is The Diary of Ma Yan. She lives in a place in China discribed as uninhabitable. Her diary is about her wanting to go to school despite all hardships.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:05 pm
Medusa says...

World war z. Its a great book, its fiction posed as nonfiction, the oral history of a nonexistent war.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:14 pm
Twit says...

"Reach for the Sky" by Paul Brickhill. It's the biography of Douglas Bader, a pilot who lost both his legs but learned to walk again, fly in the Battle of Britain, get captured by and escape from a German concentration camp, end up in Colditz and get his golf handicap down to something ridiculous.

Or has he already read it?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

68 Reviews

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:39 pm
sofi says...

Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for taking the time to recommend books I really appreciate it! I think I might get him 'Reach for the Sky' but I'll definatly recommend all the others to him as well or maybe get one for his birthday or something haha.

Thanks again so much!

Sofi
T.W.

You can't choose your parentage. But you can choose your legacy.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus