z

Young Writers Society

Lois Lowry

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:30 am
Thealyn Rosewolf says...

The one book I have read by her, The Giver is amazing. It's a pretty short book, but it's also kind of odd. It took me a while to get into, but it really is an amazing book.

The setting is in the Community, where everything is controlled. There is no pain, no war, no fear. Everyone has a roll in the Community, and you receive that roll when you turn twelve years old. The only way around the Community is either by walking or by riding a bicycle. There are air planes, and cars, but in very few numbers.

The main character is Jonas, and the roll he is given is to become the new Giver. There is only one, and that person is the only one who knows true pain, and true pleasure, and holds years upon years of memories.

It sounds simple, but it's a very deep story. It's actually a part of a Trilogy. Unfortunately I've only read The Giver. But I have Gathering Blue and Messenger on my Amazon Wish List. So here's hoping!

The Giver
Gathering Blue
Messenger

~Thealyn
"I can't stop drinking coffee. I stop drinking the coffee, I stop doing the walking and the standing and the words-putting-into-sentence doing."- Gilmore Girls

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:14 pm
M Dragon says...

Sounds intresting. Might get it out of the library (Yay! I live near it).

The "assigned" part sounds a bit like The City of Ember. I thought it was related to that series, but it's better that it isn't.

What exactly does Jonas have to do? Is there some big problem? Must the Giver learn something special?
Ello everybody!
Wazzup! Immortatily is something I shall soon achieve!

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:27 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

The Giver is amazing. If you liked that, you should check out 1984. It has the same Utopian themes. The Giver is basically 1984 for kids.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:37 pm
Clo says...

The Giver is a classic. Seriously, I think its started to be listed as a classic, or so it seems. Anyway, another really great book by her is Number the Stars. I remember really enjoying that. It's about a young German girl and her Jewish friend during the events of World War II. Again, more aimed for children.
How am I not myself?

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:39 pm
gamechanger10 says...

Haha. All I can think about is how I read Messenger first and was just like, "Huh?" the whole time.
And I thought it was the dumbest book ever because it made absolutely no sense...
But then someone told me it was the last book in the series...
Oops!
"The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." -Mark Twain

365 Reviews

Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:00 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

*SPOILER*

I think it would have been better if Jonas died, because then he would have truly escaped the boundaries of his "perfect" society.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:59 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

I thought Jonas did die...?

I didn't know there were sequels! I'm so excited! *goes off to read them*
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

365 Reviews

Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:55 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

In the Messanger he's there.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:01 pm
Night Mistress says...

I read the giver and i really didn't like the part where jonas' s father had to kill the baby. I like the book and maybe if i am not to wrapped up with romance books, i will have to pick up the other two.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:13 am
Thealyn Rosewolf says...

I was just so shocked at how nonchalant Jonas' father was about the whole thing. But at the same time it makes him the perfect example of what the rest of the Community is.

I liked that Jonas lived, but I was so aggravated when the book ended. I actually cried out, "No! This can't be it!"

Best thing though was that I was in class when I did it. Hehe.
"I can't stop drinking coffee. I stop drinking the coffee, I stop doing the walking and the standing and the words-putting-into-sentence doing."- Gilmore Girls

Reviews: 0
Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:45 pm
NatashaGarrett says...

The Giver is actually my favorite book. I loved it so much that I wrote to and emailed Lois Lowry to talk about it. That was one of the things in my life I'll never forget.
Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:42 am
Calligraphy says...

I love the Giver, the first time I read it thought I was really little and it seriously creeped me out.

May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, then lie with me all the nights of your life. And if you must cheat, then please, cheat death.
— An Unknown Bride, Leap Year