z

Young Writers Society

Historical Fiction

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:17 am
Merry_Haven says...

Awhile ago I read La Petite Four by Regina Scott and I loved it! But now I'm looking for another novel or series that falls into that same category. So anything historical and of course romance. If you guys know, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

-Merry

~Oh, I'm reading the Luxe. So don't say that one.~
Last edited by Merry_Haven on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:22 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

I haven't read Regina Scott before, but in the YA Historical Romance bin, I've always liked Ann Rinaldi alot. She is not pure romance, but some of her books have romance in them.

These two I highly recommend.
    The Second Bend in the River by Ann Rinaldi
    Girl in Blue by Ann Rinaldi

Do you have a specific time period that you like? 'Cause if I knew that it would be easier to recommend stuff.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

208 Reviews

Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:55 am
Merry_Haven says...

Anything in the Regency period. Which is around 1812-1830. And the Victorian era, which is around 1839-1901.

Thanks for recommending those two novels. I'll definitely have to look into those two.

-Merry

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:35 am
Clo says...

Hm. I've read a lot, but now I find it hard in remembering the titles...

I really enjoyed the Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant, but that's not YA.

How about the Book Thief? It's not really romance though - there is some slight crushing, but the focus is on the gravity of the events.

Man, I'm not helpful at all, with my lousy memory. :?

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:38 pm
Thealyn Rosewolf says...

I would definitely try Phillipa Gregory. She is the author of The Other Bolyen Girl which was fabulous. The movie, not so much.

But she is a fantastic writer, I absolutely love her. Her stories don't focus on romance, but it's certainly hard to miss. Plus, TOBG is a great place to start. She writes mostly about women of the Victorian period, she is one of my favorite authors, by far.
"I can't stop drinking coffee. I stop drinking the coffee, I stop doing the walking and the standing and the words-putting-into-sentence doing."- Gilmore Girls

208 Reviews

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:46 am
Merry_Haven says...

Clo-

What's the Birth of Venus about? Oh, and it doesn't matter if it's not Young Adult. It can be adult fiction, too.

No, you did help out. And I appreciate it. :D

Thealyn Rosewolf-

I found it hilarious that you recommended Phillipa Gregory because my mom had bought that book, The Other Bolyen Girl awhile ago. So I'll definitely check that one out.

Thanks for pointing out that it's based in the Victorian period. I just love that era and of course the Regency era.

Thank you two for helping me out. I will have to check out those two.

-Merry

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:44 pm
Clo says...

The Birth of Venus is about a young girl growing up during the beginning of the Renaissance in Florence. A lot of art, a lot of religious tumult - it has many mature (very mature) themes though so I put a caution label on it. I read it when I was 16 though and loved the story - thought it was very sad, and romantic and awesome. :)
How am I not myself?

566 Reviews

Reviews: 566
Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:38 am
miyaviloves says...

We were told to read 'Captian Corelli's Mandolin' for literature, it's kind of historical and actually really good, it is a little hard to get into at first but then you can't put it down - I would really reccomend it!

Meevs
;)
Bag.

Got YWS?

208 Reviews

Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:15 am
Merry_Haven says...

Clo-
Oh, sounds interesting!! I never really read anything in the Renaissance era. So I'll have to pick this one up.

miyaviloves-
I've never really heard of Captian Corelli's Mandolin. What's it about and who's it by?

To Everyone who posts:
I don't really need any genres. It can be any historical fiction novel from any era or period in history. I just need a great read. :wink: Thanks!

-Merry

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:22 pm
Lauren says...

Hi, Merry_Haven. If you're interested in the Regency period, then may I recommend a charming book, Rosetta by Barbara Ewing. It's set in England and then Egypt. Doesn't fit the typical romantic fiction genre as the main character, Rosette, yearns to travel to Egypt because of a passion for the Rosetta Stone. It's a pretty adventure and good study of people.
Wouldn't call it a masterpiece but certainly worth a look/read.

P.S. About Captain Corelli's Mandolin, it's set in WW2, in Greece, under Italian rule (sorry, I don't know the ins-and-outs.) It's supposed to be clever, adult story. There was a film made of it that I hated, but my Mum loves the book.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:24 pm
Night Mistress says...

The great and terrible Beauty
Rebel Angels
The Sweet Far Thing

All those of are by Libba bray. It's a trilogy about a girl and how she coping with her mother's death and the secret of a secret society.

um,,,anything by Eloise James, Lisa Kleypas, Julia Quinn, Amanda Quick, Julia London, Susan Wiggs. if you are looking for anymore, just go to barnesandnobles.com and select the time period of romance you want and they will sort it out for you.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

208 Reviews

Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:47 pm
Merry_Haven says...

lhighton-

So I checked the local library and they didn't have Rosetta. And the description you gave made me really want the book, more. Now I'm totally bummed. :(

Night Mistress-

A few girls at the teen book club says that the Gemma Doyle trilogy is a great read. So I guess I'll have to check that those out.

Anyway, I just checked B&N's website and you should see the different genres of historical fiction they have! It's amazing and well, I'm gonna go check out those books.

Thanks, guys for the recommendations! I'll see if I can get them at the local library.

-Merry

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:55 pm
Night Mistress says...

Happy to be of service.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:53 pm
dr paradise says...

One of the authors, Merry Haven, reminds me of the hero in five of my books. Harry Raven is a very well educated young man who was adopted without ever having any knowledge of his heritage. Eventually, he is spiritually called home to lead his tribe of Wisnook Indians.

These books can be found on Amazon and sadly enough, only two are on the shelf at this time with three more in the wings.

I like this website and have found it very challenging. I am used to simpler things.

Dr Robert E McGinnis (author of many books)

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:57 pm
Medusa says...

The Historian by Elisabeth Kostova, a great book indeed.
Alice: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.
— Arthur C. Clarke