z

Young Writers Society

White Oleander

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:08 pm
LiNdSeYo7 says...

Haven't finished it yet, but I'm half way through and I already feel it's been worth the read. I'll re-post about it when I'm finished, just wondering if anyone else has read it yet?

I also just finished the 1st Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants book (that's been mentioned on here I see). Very good.
<3 Lindsey

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:05 pm
Chevy says...

I've been meaning to buy the White Oleander but we never really go to the bookstore anymore and the library never has it in.

Oh well. I'll just let you tell me what it's about or wait a year or two till when it's not popular anymore. That's what I always do.
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:25 am
Via says...

White Oleander took me a hell of a long time to get through. The first half-ish, a little less, is very good. It's very detailed, very insightful...somewhere around the middle it turns into a soap opera that loses all the qualities I liked in the first half. I asked my English teacher to read it...and she said the exact same thing without me telling her what I thought before the read. It's deceiving in the beginning because you think it's going to be this awesome book...and it just dies somewhere in the writing.

It was disappointing. :cry:
Meg
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:40 am
Pushca says...

I agree. It could use some editing/re-writing.
Last edited by Pushca on Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:48 pm
Fand says...

For me, the attraction to White Oleander wasn't so much the plot as the author's writing style. At times it seems almost more like a prose poem than plain old prose! :D
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:02 pm
Via says...

I liked the authors style as well....in the beginning.

But then it really just died, like she got bored and needed more action.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

Reviews: 2
Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:27 pm
dittylicious says...

This book is really great, but yes, it does get slow in the middle.

The movie was also fantastic, but wow, the book has so many added details that they just hinted in during the movie. So many facts got solidified after I watched the movie.

Because of this, I think it's worth reading and watching White Oleander. The movie is more exciting but the book goes so much deeper.
~*~Ditty~*~

"When we choose between reality and madness/It's either sadness or euphoria." -Billy Joel

http://dittylicious.blogspot.com

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:18 pm
Gadi. says...

I hated that book. Okay, no, I simply disliked it--I read it all in five days, but it was just so depressing and lonesome that I found it just a bit dull to read misery after misery after misery...it gave me a look into another life, and I espcially liked the voice and style too. But goddarnit, why did it have to be so sad?!?!?!
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:00 pm
alleycat13 says...

I haven't read the book, but they made a movie called White Oleander. I can only assume (yes, I know what that does for you and me) that is based on this book. And yeah, the movie was depressing; it made me cry. But I liked it.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

we went from advice to meth real quick
— ShadowVyper