z

Young Writers Society

The Beekeeper's Apprentice

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:32 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

Oh... My... Goodness...

I am a fan of Sherlock Holmes and when I saw the cover blurb, about him taking on an apprentice and whatnot, I was a bit skeptical. I picked it up, checked it out from the library, and took it home to sit on my stack of books waiting to be read. I finally worked my way around to it and started to read...

... and couldn't stop. Seriously, every moment of my free time, I spent with this book. I was actually angry that my brother's after-school program let out on time (for once) so I couldn't sit in the car longer and read. It has been a very long time (if ever) a book has held that kind of "pick it back up" attraction for me.

My favorite thing about the book is *dramatic pause* Sherlock Holmes himself of course. I loved him before, but I am absolutely smitten now. He's the kind of guy whose name I would write hearts around. Only Mr. Darcy and Jareth have ever held that much attraction for me, and this guy's pushing 50-something in this book. He ages well, I must say.

The character of Mary Russell (the OC - other character- in the world of fanfic) starts out as a smarmy teenager (the hard-headed girl). The novel is told from her point of view. Ordinarily, I hate OCs in general, and the hard-headed girl is usually the character I want to burn at the stake, but she was just marvelous. She has this great voice that is such a joy to read, and she's a great character in her own right.

However, the thing that inspired me most and really kept my interest was the relationship between Holmes and Russell. You know how (not a big fan myself, but many here have read the series) Edward and Bella apparently can't live without each other? That is the relationship between Russell and Holmes. They have this strange quasi-relationship, not quite lovers, not quite teacher and pupil and not quite father and daughter. Seriously, it is so complex that it sucks you right in. As a writer, I found it hugely inspiring. Absolutely marvelous. At one point, they are forced to be apart from one another and you simply ache for them.

Not to mention this has a great plot. It is classic Holmes mystery. I wasn't a big fan of how the villain was classified as "insane". Please, people, there are more original ways to present a villain's overriding hatred. They don't all have to be crazy. Just highly motivated. It works for the Joker, but after a while, it can grow thin.

Great, great book and I'd recommend it just for the relationship between Russell and Holmes. It gets even better in the sequel, people! *wiggles eyebrows*

I'll say now that they have a definite feminist slant (moreso in the second book than the first - I haven't read the others yet, though I have them on hold from the library as we speak) so if you don't like that, tough. I'm not a big fan of extreme feminism (sorry to all who are) so I sort of ignore that, but it does grate a little.

Marvelous, marvelous read. I never really believed in the term "couldn't put it down" until I read this book. I highly recommend it! I actually want to buy this book! Me, who ordinarily is satisfied with the library's supply!

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:01 am
righting says...

awesome, I'll have to check it out....
Always looking for a good book to read.

uwu
— soundofmind