z

Young Writers Society

Best Fantasy Series Ever

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:09 am
Jiggity says...

Okay, so a little context here: I've been reading fantasy from the very beginning. It was the first genre I began reading at around age nine or ten, in primary school and it began with King Arthur but only really became a major must-read from now on, after Harry Potter.

There is no great series or fantasy novel that I have not read, or do not know of.

So when I say that this series, the Malazan Book of the Fallen, is probably the best ever written, I want you to understand in full, the strength of that statement. And I've only read two books in the series. Certain series will always be in my heart - certain moments in my life are ear-marked by the series I was reading at the time - and so I will never discount them. My all time favourites - Janny Wurts (Wars of Light and Shadow), Tolkien (LOTR), Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time), Raymond. E. Feist (Magician and Daughter of the Empire series) amongst tonnes of others - are all in danger of being surpassed by Steven Erikson.

With his first two books, he has tied them. With the next, if it is even half as good as the second, I will feel confident in saying he is the best fantasist. Ever. His world is so rich, so complex and dark - the characters are brilliant, the sorcery is new and innovative, the storyline is ever changing - no fixed plot, but merely following a set of characters that continually grow, not only in number, but in strength, and wisdom - sometimes falling, sometimes rising and perhaps both.

The tragedy of this writing is that its too good - It can't appeal to the general public as say, Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter did, no, its far more advanced I think - only the true admirers/lovers/readers of Fantasy will be able to appreciate what Erikson has achieved.The man is simply astonishing - not only in the sheer breadth of his vision, the inventiveness of his characters, creatures, magic, world, and everything in between but in the style of writing also. He doesn't let up. He doesn't let you breathe. You simply get dragged down into his world, willing or not. What I love most is that it seems as though every explanatory sentence has been cut in the editing process. So many novels spend half of the time explaining what is happening, or how such and such works - Erikson doesn't.

He simply tells the story.

He demands to be read and I kick myself for ignoring him for so long - yes, I knew of him, but simply discounted him or never had the time to pick up one of his books but now that I have, I am simply in awe.

You must read!
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

798 Reviews

Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:30 am
Jiggity says...

Has anyone read this series?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:45 am
Snoink says...

Uh... no.

What is it about?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:54 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

I'll have to read that sometime. Your description of him and his writing style makes me think of Dickens. Very innovtive to the point where the general public can't take it.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:39 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

thunder_dude7 wrote:I'll have to read that sometime. Your description of him and his writing style makes me think of Dickens. Very innovtive to the point where the general public can't take it.

But Dickens was hugely popular with the general public.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:06 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

I'm sorry. Yes, in general, he was. I was thinking along the lines of "Great Expectations".

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:32 pm
Kaylyn says...

Hmmm, sounds intersting. I'll have to read it. Have you read the historian? It is a good fantasy book too.
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

798 Reviews

Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:02 am
Jiggity says...

Lol, Snoink, as if I could say - Well, I could give you a broad intimation of the goings-on thus far, but that would take me an age.

The Historian is a good, solid read, yes - but I'm not talking singular books (even though most of Erikson's books can stand-alone and would still be better then most) I'm talking about a series.

He is just awesome.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:47 am
kris says...

I did so very much enjoy reading the "Dark Magician" trilogy - by Trudy Canavan.
Some of the content is a little `pre-teen' and juvenile. BUT!! Her character and world crafting skills are par none. Her world really hits you, and her style of writing is such that reading masses of description does not in any sense feel tedious.

GET READIN'! :P
xx
Love
Kris
xx

798 Reviews

Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:13 pm
Jiggity says...

I have read her novels. All of them. I very much enjoyed the Black Magician trilogy and I own the series, although it is nowhere near the best, in my opinion. Very good though. Her second series, I'm afraid to say, was nowhere near as good.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:37 am
Clo says...

I haven't read a good fantasy series in a while - like five years! I should act on your recommendation. :P
How am I not myself?

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:59 pm
Terian805 says...

Jonathan Strange and Mr norrell is my current fantasy reading project. It's absolutely fantastic, I have to say! :D The writing is wonderfully 18th century, the magic and histories, are magnificently crafted, and the plot is excellently inventive!
"You can't live over your shoulder, overbehind."

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
— Abraham Heschel