z

Young Writers Society

Star Wars: Republic Commando

195 Reviews

Reviews: 195
Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:59 pm
PsychicNinja says...

Well, okay, I won't spoil anything. But I just finished reading the Republic Commando series last week with the release of Order 66, the fourth book. And yes, there will be an Imperial Commando Series, book 1 will be called 501st. Anyway, let me just say that this series is the best Star Wars series I have read so far. Even if you're not really into Star Wars, you'll definitely enjoy this story of doing what's right by defying the rules.

Let me just outline the entire series' story in one paragraph or less. In the first book, Hard Contact, it's three months after the Battle of Geonosis (Attack of the Clones). The characters you're following are the newly formed Omega Squad: Niner, Darman, Fi, and Atin. Then you get introduced to this Jedi Padawan called Etain Tur-Mukan. So the first book into totally an intro-ish book, where their personalities are explored and it's also the start of a relationship. The second book, Triple Zero, we get more intoduced to the plot and a ton more characters, like Kal Skirata, a Mandalorian (who was frequently mentioned in Hard Contact). Skirata and Walon Vau (who is also introduced in the book) were training sergeants of the republic commandos. Now as the plot through the books progresses, we find that the clones of Omega Squad, Delta Squad (the subject of the video game) and the Null ARCs (Skirata's "private army" [Mereel!! FTW] are finding out that there is a life beyond what they were indoctrinated to belief. Unlike what many people thought, the clones actually feel emotions and long for a life where they could just settle down with a wife and have a few kids. Or something like that. The problem is, they're in the Grand Army of the Republic, and there's no way out.

The story follows mainly from Kal Skirata's, Etain Tur-Mukan's, Bardan Jusik's (another Jedi Knight), and Omega Squad's point of view. All the characters change dramatically over the series, and it's very interesting to explore Mandalorian culture. (How do you think I became obsessed with Mandos? Defineity not because of Republic Commando... :wink: )

Well anyway, I give this series the highest remarks. There are a few things that Traviss should have explained better, but really, I have nothing but praise for this series. If I write down my problem with it, I would, I just really can't find any. You'll also find that the books have many twists--not what you'd expect. I was glued to these books, and I can't wait for Imperial Commando. If anyone has questions about the series, just ask me! Or if you've read the series, I want to know what you think of it.

Mereel, Null ARC N-7, FTW!!

~Your friendly, neighborhood Star Wars fanatic. 8)
"Look, Ma. No hands"
"You haven't got a ma."
"Maybe a nice old lady will adopt me. I'm very loveable."
―Fi and Darman

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:07 pm
View Likes
Stori says...

Ok... I'm not sure you've convinced me, but I might give it a try.

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:02 pm
andimlovegalore says...

My boyfriend loves these books, he says they're how Star Wars should be. I haven't read any myself but I'm not realyl a SW fan..

Spend your days thinking about things that are good and true and beautiful and noble, and you will become good and true and beautiful and noble.
— Matthew Kelly