z

Young Writers Society

IT'S WHAT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR...well, not really :P

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:05 am
Sam says...

I kept track of all the books I read this month...and then I rated them. Enjoy!
(evil smilies stand for stars, on a scale of 1-5)

Zel, by Donna Jo Napoli (Rating: :twisted:)

Intended Audience: Young Adult

A retelling of the story Rapunzel...seemed very fluffly to me, considering the actual fairytale. It was almost as if the author didn't want to offend you in any way, so she was hinting around. Like the part where Zel and the Prince were supposed to be...ya know...havin' fun in bed (:twisted:), she hints around it and just puts the part where the Prince wakes up. Crucial scenes like these were beaten around the bush; pointless ones like the death of a pigeon were very cruel and graphic. Didn't make sense to me.

Mary, Bloody Mary, by Carolyn Meyer (Rating: :twisted: :twisted:)

The story of Mary Tudor, Princess of Wales.

Pretty pointless, told in the point of view of an unsufferably snotty girl who you don’t care about in the least. I only gave it stars because
a) It’s historical fiction (teehee)
b) The ending was fairly decent.

The Last Treasure, by Janet S. Anderson (Rating: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:)

Intended Audience: Middle School

Very interesting story about a interesting family and the strange incident that binds them together…about the Smiths, of whom most live in a tiny, separate community unto themselves constructed by the family patriarch in the mid-1800’s.
Family history was very cool, but the writing was slightly awkward and at some times very boring.

Full Tilt, by Neil Shusterman (Rating: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:)

Weird thriller-type book that wins points for originality. A normal high school kids gets one chance to save his comatose younger brother by riding seven of the rides at an eerie carnival that runs from midnight until dawn. The catch: all the rides are more horrifying than the last, and if the ride claims your life, the park keeps you there forever. However, parts of it were very awkward and it was pretty must just your typical teen novel.

Sahara Special, by Esme Raji Codell (Rating: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:)

Very cute, funny little story. It’s all about Sahara, a girl who is wrongly placed in a special ed class and held back a year. However, when her teachers deem her ready, she goes into a normal fifth grade class. But this year, a new, incredibly teacher named Miss Pointy is in charge, and things are never quite the same again…

Beast, by Donna Jo Napoli (Rating: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:)

Very moving, elegant tale. It follows Prince Orasmyn of Persia as a sacrifice goes wrong and he is sought after by an old spirit who curses him and turns him into a lion. In leonine form, he travels all the way to France to try and lure a woman to love him truly and break the curse.

Very cool book, but I can’t look at a lion any more without cringing.

Princess In Pink, by Meg Cabot (Rating: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:)

Funny, journal-style book in the Princess Diaries series. I’m slightly biased, but these books never fail to crack me up. :D

Best Friends For Never, by Lisi Harrison (Rating: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:)

Second installment in The Clique series. One of the only contemporary YA series I like.

The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant (Rating: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:)

Intended Audience: Adult

A beautifully written look into the average biblical woman’s world. Follows the life of Dinah, daughter of Jacob, who’s only mentioned briefly in the Bible. As a girl, her mothers tell her the story of their lives in the Red Tent (where all the women would go and shut themselves up in when they had their periods because they men thought that they would be contaminated by the women *har de har har*) and Dinah adds her own tragic story where they leave off.

The ending was pretty bad though.

Go Ask Alice, by Anonymous (Rating: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:)

The real diary of a girl hooked on drugs. Really, really good, but she uses too many exclamation points for her own good. :P

The Minister’s Daughter, by Julie Hearn (Rating: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:)

ABSOLUTELY SMASHING. The story of a healer’s daughter, Nell, and the minister’s daughter, Grace, during the English Civil War. Grace and her younger sister Patience go into a series of maddening fits in order to keep a secret that could stain their family’s reputation forever- and all the blame goes to Nell.

Abarat, by Clive Barker (Rating: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:)

VERY COOL! Follows the story of a normal girl named Candy Quackenbush from a small town in Minnesota who ventures to a faraway land called the Abarat…the picture in it rock too.

Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi (Rating: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:)

Very eye-opening, funny book about growing up during the Islamic Revolution, told in comic book form. Makes the political issues of the day very easy to understand…good stuff. (Today, I am Che Guevara!)
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:24 pm
Rei says...

How could you think the pigeon was pointless? Meh. Maybe you just do't get the symbolism yet. I thought the fact that she hinted rather than actually describing it helped the tone. Besides, you can't forget that this was published by a company that markets to under-15-year-olds. And you have to understand how a character like Zel thinks. She focuses on what she understands, not the whole bit with the men, which she doesn't understand.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

1258 Reviews

Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:26 am
Sam says...

Yeah, I put that into factor too. But she was like psycho-naked-lady near the end, so I dropped trying to understand the whole innocent thing.

But still, wouldn't you somehow grasp the basic idea of what this guy was going to do to you?

Meh. Another example of people who think kids can't handle anything.

- Demetri Martin

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:30 am
Elizabeth says...

You read too much.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:07 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

no I read to much, trust me.

but thanks for the review I'll have to check out some of those books.

and Abarat rocks, the second book is even better and I'm half way through.

cheers
CL
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

685 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:07 pm
Rei says...

It wasn't so much innocence as ignorance. Her being naked had nothing to do with sexuality anyway. By that point, she was mad. Also, something I forgot to say before, sometimes it's what you don't say/show this is more powerful.

1258 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:18 pm
Sam says...

Well, I just hated the book anyway, so it doesn't really matter...*sigh*

- Demetri Martin

685 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:28 pm
Rei says...

Meh. You don't have to like a book to discuss it.

1258 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:36 pm
Sam says...

Very true...*shakes head*

- Demetri Martin

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:09 am
hekategirl says...

My mom won't let me read 'Go Ask Alice' she says its do old for me *GRRRRR* But it looks so cool! I can't wait to read it when i'm 'older' :P
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

1258 Reviews

Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:46 am
Sam says...

Hehe. It's actually not that great, but since it's a true story you have to give it some credit.

- Demetri Martin

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:36 am
J. Wilder says...

hekategirl said: My mom won't let me read 'Go Ask Alice' she says its do old for me *GRRRRR* But it looks so cool! I can't wait to read it when i'm 'older' :P

You let your mom choose what you read?

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.
— George Eliot