z

Young Writers Society

Worst Book You've Ever Read

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:28 am
Karsten says...

Robert Newcomb's The Fifth Sorceress. Regurgitated Hero's Journey knockoff made notable by its misogyny, homophobia and Nazism. :roll:

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:56 am
LowKey says...

The Villa, by Nora Roberts. Supposedly, it's supposed to be a romance, but I'll never know. 150 pages into it, and she's still introducing all of the characters at an auction thingamabob. Few pages dedication to talking about Joe Doe, then a few talking about Jane Joe, and then some talking about John Smith, etc. It goes on and on and on and on. I stopped while still in the middle of the character introductions, so can't vouch for the actually story part of it. As far as the book goes though, I think it's a bust.
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:07 pm
Kamas says...

The Riddle by someone not worth my small memory space.
It was just..... Boring!

And trust me Never ever ever ever ever ever ever read "Autobiography of a Face" by Lucy Grealy.
Had to read it during school. Never again. My friends destroyed their copy when it was done.
Seriously i should too
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:23 pm
Lucinda says...

I'll leave out Twilight, 'cause I'm sure you've already heard that rant.
The worst book I've ever read is Warrior Cats (and the others in the series). The main character, Firepaw, is a total Gary-Stu, and most of the other characters don't have much personality at all. This creates a problem because the characters are
1. Introduced so quickly and then leave so quickly
2. Have similar names
3. All talk in the same manner
that I couldn't remember them *at all*. Also, the book has some bad cases of purple prose.
And also, this really bothers me: I understand cats to be pretty indepentant and flighty, so *why* would they adhere to a code that says where they can and can't go, what they can and can't do, who they can and can't fall in love with...it just doesn't make any sense.
So...yeah. I'll be hiding behind my chair now. :lol:
The history of the world
My pet
Is learn forgiveness
And try to forget!

-Sweeney Todd

I'm a damsel...
I'm in distress...
I can handle it.
Have a nice day.

-Hercules

Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade
Hide your face so the world can never find you.

-The Phantom of the Opera

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:52 pm
View Likes
MagnusBane says...

I agree Lucinda, I didn't like the Warriors series at all. A lot of people love the books but I don't understand why. The characters had zero personality and they all blended together for me. And I just didn't get why cats would band together in a "clan." I could see feral dogs forming a pack, maybe, but why would cats live together? And the "warrior's code" was really dumb too.
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:45 am
Lorrilrakest. says...

I'm reading part of the Magyk series. It's fantasy, but it's all with castles and princesses and stuff. It's pretty boring stuff, when we've heard it all before :L

Im only reading it because i like to finish books.

It's a poorman's Harry Potter.
"Who needs God when you've got me?"
- Jessica Sanders

"Didn't I throw you out a window?"
- Jessica Sanders

www.drizzlefilm.com

10 Reviews

Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:46 pm
Lucinda says...

xD Wow, there are more of me out there? I thought I was alone.
And just one other complaint about that series:
In the third series of the, er, series, there is this character called Jaypaw. He is blind. Basically, all you ever hear is, "Why doesn't anyone treat me like I'm normal?" and then someone treats him like he's normal, and then all you hear is, "But I'm blind! I need the extra help!" it's endlessly frustrating. I mean, I'm all for flawed characters, but all this guy does is angst, yell at his friends and family, angst, get in trouble, angst. :?
The history of the world
My pet
Is learn forgiveness
And try to forget!

-Sweeney Todd

I'm a damsel...
I'm in distress...
I can handle it.
Have a nice day.

-Hercules

Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade
Hide your face so the world can never find you.

-The Phantom of the Opera

93 Reviews

Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:56 pm
MagnusBane says...

Has anyone read "Witch" and "Curse" by Nancy holder and Debbie Viguie? I hate those books. They make no sense at all and there's no emotion in any of the 500 pages. The story switches from past to present and back again so much that it drove me crazy trying to read it. And the "magic" just isn't logical.
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:34 pm
OxfordandOnyx says...

I'll leave out Breaking Dawn which was horrible...

Jane Eyre- I liked the film adaption so I thought I would give the book ago but seriosuly, I just could not find a passion for it.(I may actually re-read someday)
Great Expectations- (zzzzz)

Can't think of anymore right now though :P
Four kinds of people I hate most in life.
1. People who use a preposition to end a sentence with.
2. People who can't count.
3. People who think it's 'clever' to quote ironic phrases.

10 Reviews

Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:18 am
wii age 21 charlie says...

I don't like Harry Potter, Eragon, or Twilight earthier.
Last edited by wii age 21 charlie on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:11 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

I know some people will hate me, but I didn't like the Fellowship of the Ring. I've heard so much impossible praise forit, and from so many great authors, that I had to read it. Well, I ended up hating it. I love the setting and the storyline, bu the way it was written was just plain bad! It didn't really give me a clear picture, and the chapters dragged on and on. The one part I did love, though, was the chapters with Tom Bombadil, but I think everybody loves that part.

That being said, I'm not a hater of Tolkien. One of my all time favorite book is the Silmarillion, which goes so in depth into the world Middle-Earth.

Hate me if you want. :)
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:10 pm
Krupp says...

Mr.Knightley wrote:I know some people will hate me, but I didn't like the Fellowship of the Ring. I've heard so much impossible praise forit, and from so many great authors, that I had to read it. Well, I ended up hating it. I love the setting and the storyline, bu the way it was written was just plain bad! It didn't really give me a clear picture, and the chapters dragged on and on. The one part I did love, though, was the chapters with Tom Bombadil, but I think everybody loves that part.

That being said, I'm not a hater of Tolkien. One of my all time favorite book is the Silmarillion, which goes so in depth into the world Middle-Earth.

Hate me if you want. :)

I guess I'm confused more than hateful. Doesn't Silmarillion drag on more than the Fellowship did? Maybe it's just me..
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:43 am
Jetpack says...

Z for Zachariah, Robert C. O'Brien. I think that's the right author, but it was just awful... I barely remember why, but it was something to do with the MC being totally pathetic. All I know is, along the way I managed to somehow endear myself to the English teacher, despite it being her favourite book and me slating it the entire time, and I will forever remember it as the worst book I ever read. I couldn't find one negative thought about it on the net, though, so I wonder if anyone else has read it?

I'm really surprised at some of the books people name on here. I mean, I expected Eragon, Twilight, even Harry Potter (I'm not that big a fan myself), but Tolkein and Lord of the Flies? Still, it's interesting.

93 Reviews

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:43 am
~Volant~ says...

Hm....I've narrowed it down to three.

Twilight series. All of it. :p
Dragons of Autumn Twilight. or something like that. Rapid mood changes, cheesy lines, no flow, and a baaaaad magic system.
Hexwood. I got about halfway through and then all the time paradox and such got really confusing...and I wasn't interested enough to make sense of it lol.
Where are we going?

10 Reviews

Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:59 pm
wii age 21 charlie says...

The worst book I ever read is probably Across Five Aprils. It is about a sixteen year old that fights for the Union even though he was a Confederate. I don't read very many bad books though. The second worst book I ever read is probably Spongbob camp firejokes I can not remember its real name, but thats what it is about. I was 4 when I read it.
Charlie

trust your heart if the seas catch fire (and live by love though the stars walk backward)
— E.E. Cummings