z

Young Writers Society

Worst Book You've Ever Read

195 Reviews

Reviews: 195
Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:44 am
PsychicNinja says...

Well, I haven't read a bad Star Wars book. =P =P

Well, I haven't read all of Twilight (stopped after the first chapter). I read the first Harry Potter book and it didn't interest me (mostly because I don't like magic). And I haven't read Eragon. So I really can't say any of those. :wink:

...I can't think of any bad books right now, since I mostly only read Star Wars books. I read The Awakening by Kate Chopin (an 19th Century book) and I didn't like it at all. I'll come back if I think of/read one. XP

~Psy
"Look, Ma. No hands"
"You haven't got a ma."
"Maybe a nice old lady will adopt me. I'm very loveable."
―Fi and Darman

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:07 am
Seraphania says...

Swordbird. A big fuss was made because the author was thirteen or whatever when she wrote it, and she came from China, but it's in all honesty a terrible book. Seems like bad fanfiction of Redwall, in my opinion...

Reviews: 2
Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:42 am
Minerva Scriptor says...

I usually just give up on a book when it starts looking bad, but in this case, I had to read it for school.

The book is called the Alchemist, and is apparently very popular. It is also apparently a fantasy book, but to me it just seemed like a long description of the Author's personal beliefs. There was very little plot, and a lot of spirituality, which didn't really mean much to me. (although I suppose it may have to people who are more spiritual than I am)
I never tell anybody exactly how clever I am.
They would be too scared. ~Artemis Fowl

Accept the Truth.
If you don’t like it, Change it.

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:19 pm
Sohini says...

You mean Paulo Coelho's Alchemist??
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:14 pm
mizz-iceberg says...

The Worst books I've read are:

Goose Chase by Patrice Kindl

Raven Quest by Sharon Stewart

I read Goose Chase till the end, because it WAS engaging.
When I finally closed the book, I realized that reading the book had been a complete waste of time.
I guess I can say that the story goes too fast and the reader doesn't really get to know the characters too well.

As for Raven Quest, it's not really fair that I say it's a horrible book, because I haven't read the whole book. I read the first few pages and found it really slow and boring.
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:03 am
silverSUNLIGHTx says...

well one really bad book was skinned by robin wasserman. it wasn't so much that i didn't like it because it was badly written, it was just really really pessimistic. the only good part of it that kept me reading was this guy named auden, and at the end he fell down a waterfall and got paralyzed for life then became a total man-bitch. it also had a horrible ending.
--->Don't forget we've got unfinished business. Stories yet to unfold, tales that must be retold.
-Alex Gaskarth

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:11 am
LowKey says...

"Introduction to Oceanography" by Paul Pinet. He says the same line in a different way every three or four lines.

"My name is Bob."
line.
line.
line.
"Bob's my name."
line.
line.
"People call me Bob."
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:44 am
kris says...

The Quicksilver series ( Quicksilver Zenith in particular) by Stan Nicholls. Was one of the worst set of books that I have ever read. For some reason I couldn't take the hint from the first book in the series, of how terrible the following books would be, but I stuck it out in the vain hope that the books would improve... Alas.
Stan Nicholls's writing is highly stagnant and thick... It's like swimming through treacle.

Please avoid this series.

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:23 pm
niccy_v says...

The Host
Stephenie Meyer

Was expecting better. Took me two months to get into. and dissapointed.

umm

DRYLANDS

don't remember author but no beginning, middle or end. Not really. Hate that horrible thing. It was the reason i dropped from English Lit to English Pathway 2 (true to god) because it was that boring and horrible - i couldn't take it anymore!!!! DAMN YOU STUPID BOOK
Writing gives my life purpose

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:45 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

The book is called the Alchemist, and is apparently very popular. It is also apparently a fantasy book, but to me it just seemed like a long description of the Author's personal beliefs. There was very little plot, and a lot of spirituality, which didn't really mean much to me. (although I suppose it may have to people who are more spiritual than I am)

*Beats with giant mallet*

The Alchemist is beautifully written. I see what you mean about the large amount of philosophy, but I found the writing fantastic. It was quite thought provoking, and the characters were wonderfully developed.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:03 am
W says...

The Odyessy transferred from poem to story-format. Maybe it was just the translator, but UGH it's thw worst written thing I've ever seen!
el oh el

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:58 am
Seraphania says...

Charlie Bone. I really love the story plot, and it's engaging, but the main character is waaaaay too perfect. He has all these special powers and stuff....it got annoying.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:39 pm
StellaThomas says...

I must admit that the Alchemist leaves a bad taste in the mouth at the end because you're like "I trudged through all of this... for that?" but I did enjoy it.

Hm... Lionboy by... I can't even remember the name. I got it free with Harry Potter. Awful. Co-written by an eleven year old and her mother.

Uh... Lord of the Flies by William Golding. School novel. Good concept, terrible book.

Erm.... The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke. I love Inkheart etc. but the Thief Lord was quite frankly awful...

Um... *is looking through bookshelves.* The Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris was very disappointing... I didn't much like Chocolat to begin with -I think the hype ruined it for me.

Em... I have a lot, don't I? Resistance by Owen Shears. Started out with promise. Ended not very high on my charts... (I am reading a book called The Resistance by Gemma Malley which I'm loving...)

What else? Twilight isn't high on my list, but it's certainly not one of the worst. Nor is Eragon. Meyer's a good writer, and Paolini... well, he deserves some credit, doesn't he?
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:45 pm
Clo says...

Oh... I loved Lionboy and the Thief Lord! I had to read them for the young adult book club I coached. :)
How am I not myself?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:00 pm
StellaThomas says...

Actually, I'm reading through the topic and I... *blushes* I have to defend the Prophecy of the Gems/Stones by Flavia Bujor. It was a long time ago that I read it... but... I really enjoyed it. *blushes again*

I also must defend Maximum Ride, even though I've only read the first two books, and Artemis Fowl. How can you not like Arty? I'll admit the first book is a little confusing, but how can you not love it?!?

Also, someone mentioned Jane Eyre and Rebecca... Jane Eyre is very slow to start with but gets a lot better. And Rebecca... *gasp* that's like, blasphemy! I loved Rebecca -it was one of those books that I literally could not put down. It's quite funny that my friend is reading it at the moment on my recommendation and we have christened the main character Whatshername :D. Because we're cool.

I'll defend quite a few books actually. But not the Thief Lord or Lionboy... just... sorry, I couldn't stand them.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

If you are tired remember it's a sign that you haven't expired
— fatherfig