z

Young Writers Society

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:43 pm
andimlovegalore says...

I've just finished the ninth book in the series (White Knight) and there is a tenth book currently in hardback that I'm waiting to come out in paperback so I can buy it. While the writing style isn't very sublte and there's plenty of really corny humour, I love this series. I just love the characters and the exciting plot lines and my humour can be pretty unsophisticated sometimes as well ^_~

Any one else read them/like or disliked them?

I just found the audiobooks are read by James Marsters and that makes me even happier!

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:33 pm
scribblingquill says...

I love these books!

even though I've only just finished the second one,, i was hooked from the first chapter.

Its a really quirky mix of wizard fantasy, and CSI style murder mystery. Its a great combination, funky characters (even if Dresden does seem to be surrounded by too many beautiful women for it to be realistic, then again, its all very James bond) and the humour is great.

i love the part In Fool Moon when they get fast food, Harry puts on the paper hat in the bag and narrows his eyes: "I am...the burger king"

Its hardly intellectual, or making a great statement, but its fantastic to read.
Is this bass REALLY strong enough?

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:51 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

I adore the series, as well as the short lived tv show. Though I adore Harry Dresden, Bob is my favorite character. There didn't seem to be a prevalence of beautiful women in the series. The only person I recall being expressively described as pretty is the Vampire Queen, for some reason I don't remember her name.

Heehee... I love "I am...the burger king."

And > now, I want to go find the audio books. Lucky you.

:D

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:06 am
Meep says...

I read the first one on the flight to Beijing. It was okay. I'm not really into the crime solving type of story, but they were light and amusing and I'd read another if it fell out of the sky, but I doubt I'd seek more out. (I did really like their take on potions, though; not one I'd seen before, which was nice.)

Oh, and the TV show was great. (I like my crime dramas with actors and popcorn.)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:16 pm
andimlovegalore says...

I saw a few of the eps of the TV series but I didn't really like it.. they changed a LOT of really important stuff from the books. e.g Harry's car the Blue Beetle he always drives got turned into a jeep, Bob was turned into a person rather than just a skull, they totally changed the way Murphy looks and changed her name to something different, he uses drum sticks and s hockey stick instead of his proper blasting rod and staff. It was just too weird. I couldn't concentrate. The guy who played him was great though, really well cast.

I think they just get better as the series goes on actually.. when there's more great characters to know =] once Thomas is introduced it's awesome, and then Molly a bit later. Yeah <3

Being a hero doesn't mean you're invincible. It just means that you're brave enough to stand up and do what's needed.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena