z

Young Writers Society

The Crow by Jay O'Barr

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:17 pm
WinterGrimm says...

A classic graphic novel that I remember first reading when I was about twelve years old when a friend loaned it to me. I picked it up a few days ago to bring into my young adult lit class to show a good example of a graphic novel. Jay O'Barr writes and illustrates this macabre tale of revenge with a personal flare that really brings the story to life. While I can hostesly say there are somethings the movie did that I liked better than the book the main attraction in the book is the layout. Each chapter is prefaced with either a quote or poetry and his black and white drawing caputure something intriguing that he could have never done in color. Also when looking at the art notice the softness of Eric in his life with Shelly as opposed to the violent, sharpness, and overbearing shadows of his unlife as the vengeful spirit, The Crow. Its a great read and even better to look at. Not to mention that its one of the few graphic novels that have been consistantly in print since its first publishing in 1981. Very few graphic novels have that staying power on the market and most of them are written by the comic book industry's giants such as Frank Miller (Sin City, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns), Neil Gaiman (Sandman, Neverwhere), and Alan Moore (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, From Hell).
That love is suffering is easy to see, for before the love becomes equally balanced on both sides there is no torment greater, since the lover is always in fear that his love may not gain its desire and that he is wasting his efforts.
Andreas Cappelanus, The Art of Courtly Love

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:22 am
hawk says...

I have never read The Crow, I knew it was a comic or something, the fact I've seen the film and not read the story is somewhat embarrassing. Is it good?
I've only ever seen one adaptation of The Crow, and that was Stairway to Heaven. Brandon Lee died during the making of the original film, I think, and I'd like to see that one. It's a brilliant tale, but the movie I saw certainly did it no favors.

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:52 am
VariousUndine says...

I read this over and over again. It's such a powerful, sad, awesomely violent work. Hits you in the gut as hard as it hits you in the heart. I think the crow itself was my favorite character. He could have been one of Morpheus's ravens.
[size=0]"I know it's not a party if it happens every night/ pretending there's glamour and candlelabra when you're drinking by candlelight/ What does it take to get a drink in this place?"~ The Postal Service, "This Place Is A Prison" [/size]

A true poet does not bother to be poetical. Nor does a nursery gardener scent his roses.
— Jean Cocteau