z

Young Writers Society

The Host

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Thu May 08, 2008 3:56 pm
KJ says...

I don't know if there is yet a thread on this particular book, but I just wanted to let everyone out there know that it is AMAZING! I think it's just as good as - MAYBE even better - than her Twilight books.

If you do read it, I will warn you: I felt that it was a slow-starter. But it just gets better and better as it goes along.

So yeah. Read it. It will become an addiction.

Reviews: 1
Thu May 08, 2008 4:30 pm
JenniferLauren122 says...

I'm actually about to make a Barnes and Noble run for that book as well as Sunday's at Tiffany's by James Patterson. I've been dying for that book ever since it came out!!

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Thu May 08, 2008 8:31 pm
KJ says...

It's pricey but you won't regret it! Wow, I sound like a salesman :( lol

Reviews: 1
Fri May 09, 2008 1:16 am
JenniferLauren122 says...

Haha. No worries. I tend to sound saleswoman-ish at times too.

I actually got it for 14 something. :] AND I got Sunday's at Tiffany's!! Hurray!

I pre-ordered Breakin Dawn as well.

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Fri May 09, 2008 11:19 am
Angel of Death says...

I only know one person who is reading The Host and since its against the rules in the book Reader 101, they won't tell me what's going on. I'm just going to have take people's words that its a good book, until then I'll be killing my mom slowly with endless begging.
Sundays at Tiffany's is another book I really want to read, whoever has it and started it: Is it as fairytalesque as it sounds?
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Mon May 12, 2008 1:36 am
Kepe says...

Just finished it! LOVED IT!!! I was totally going to make a thread, but you beat me to it! Defiantly her best since Twilight.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Mon May 12, 2008 3:51 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

I just bought this today, and I'm about 150 pages into it...she has this amazing talent for writing creepy stuff that she makes not-creepy lol. I'm excited about it, cuz it was CHEAP! well, relatively speaking. good stuff, good stuff. i recommend it.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon May 12, 2008 8:32 pm
StellaThomas says...

I have a question, I'm a bit uneasy over Stephenie Meyer because I don't like her characters. Are her characters in this more well rounded, flawed etc. than the others? I had a choice between this and the new Libba Bray so I kinda chose Libba Bray. But anyway, how are her characters in this? Better? Or the same?
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

71 Reviews

Mon May 12, 2008 11:21 pm
Kepe says...

Personally, I liked these characters better. The souls are kind of 'perfect', but they are not human and so it is easier to excuse there perfection, and they are slightly parasitic so that has to take away some of the perfection. It's hard to explain, you need to read it to make your own decision.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue May 13, 2008 4:20 pm
iwrite says...

The host really is a good book. I just finished reading it the other day, and it really is addictive indeed KJ. Oh yes, while i'm here, could you guys help me out a little bit? I was thinking about buying Dante Alighieri's The divine comedy, could you guys help me out with a comment on this?
I read so i can write...
Education is very important...

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Tue May 13, 2008 11:29 pm
View Likes
Fireweed says...

What is it about? I love sci fi if it's really good sci fi. But alot of it is cheesy. XD
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue May 13, 2008 11:46 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Fireweed: It's told from the perspective of an alien called Wanderer who is, essentially, a parasite. She is implanted into the body of a human named Melanie, who was among the last of human freedom fighters on Earth. Usually when a "soul" is implanted into a human, the person's mind quickly fades away - but Melanie's doesn't. Instead of fading, she continually bombards Wanderer with images of the man she loves and her little brother. Eventually Wanderer and Melanie form a tenuous friendship that gets them both into LOTS of trouble. :D It's not cheesy at all, I like it.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

71 Reviews

Wed May 14, 2008 11:41 pm
Kepe says...

I have to agree, The Host manages to make sci-fi fun, rather than cheezy.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Sun May 18, 2008 10:45 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

I just got this yesterday and I thought the first mabey six chapters were great. That's all I have to say right now on this. :D
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Sun May 18, 2008 10:56 pm
Fireweed says...

Hm, pretty intriguing. Thanks for the summary, Lyrical Sunshine!
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

sometimes i don't consider myself a poet but then i remember that i literally write poetry
— chikara