z

Young Writers Society

Wuthering Heights

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:19 pm
StellaThomas says...

I'm pretty sure that no one put this topic up already, which I found a bit weird.

So I'm about three quarters of the way through this and it's really good. Totally believable, very tragic, very romantic.

However I have to admit that the only character I really like, as in, would like to bump into on the street, is Nelly herself. The rest are all really self-centred and nasty. Except for Cathy and Heathcliff who are centred around each other of course.

Any thoughts? No spoilers please, not finished yet!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:46 pm
Aedomir says...

Is that Wuthering Heights or Withering Heights? What's it about? I think I know of it.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:57 pm
StellaThomas says...

Withering Heights? Okay then.

It's about... hmm... how to describe it...

Pretty much, there's this guy called Lockwood who moves into a house called Thrushcross Grange. One night he has to stay at the neighbour's house, Wuthering Heights because of a snowstorm. The neighbour is a man called Heathcliff, who's really a nasty person. While there, Lockwood thinks he sees a ghost outside the window and runs away, leaving Heathcliff at the window begging his dear Cathy to come back inside.

Back at home, Lockwood asks his housekeeper, Nelly Dean about it, and most of the book so far is Nelly's story, how Heathcliff was found by Catherine's father and taken in, how Catherine and Heathcliff fell in love -sort of- how she betrayed him, what he did in retaliation, how she died...

It's really hard to describe without giving anything away. It's a story within a story, Lockwood doesn't do much except lie in bed, but that seems the best way to tell what it's about...
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:49 pm
Sureal says...

Wuthering Heights FTW.

It's a story of love, of passion, of hatred, and of revenge.
I wrote the above just for you.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:56 pm
Leja says...

This book is the anti-romance if there ever was one :lol: But all the parallels are interesting to take a look at!

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:17 pm
Eimear says...

Go Wuthering Heights! Woop, woop!

I'm doing that legend of a book for my English coursework, It's amazing! The entire thing is brilliantly plotted out and well written...and what about Joseph's accent?!

Has anyone read Jane Eyre?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:57 pm
StellaThomas says...

Joseph's accent cracks me up when ever I read it.

I've got 10 chapters to go, I'm reading a chapter a night. I would just finish it, but I got Company of Liars a few days ago, and it's just far too luscious to resist.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:01 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

Ahhhh!!!! :thud: Couldn't stand Wuthering Heights. I really had to struggle to get to the end back when I read it.

I found it irritating, involving far too much whinging on Kathy's part. It was on our KS4 list of suggested books, which was why I read it, but I think it's overated. It's one of the very few books I can say I totally didn't enjoy.
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:37 pm
ScriboErgoSum says...

I LOVE this book and it's one of my favorites ever, even though I'm usually into fantasy not romance. I read somewhere that Emily Bronte took only ten weeks to write it, too. IMPRESSIVE.

Isn't Heathcliff great? :smt054

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:12 pm
StellaThomas says...

Well I finished it.

It's only half a romance, really. The rest is about revenge etc. I really enjoyed it, although of course, everyone's entitled to their opinion. But I think it better than Austen, -I don't know, perhaps you can't really compare the two, but just in the classical section now, I have a feeling I'd pick up Jane Eyre instead of Sense and Sensibility... although I intend to read everything by all the Brontes and Jane Austen in any case... But back on topic, I really liked this...

BTW, scriboergosum=I write, therefore I am? Am I right?

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:46 pm
.katsuro. says...

This is definately one of my favorite books. It was surprisingly good. I figured I would have been bored after the first little bit, but I enjoyed it. I can't say I really liked Joseph's accent though. It was funny, but extremely hard to understand in some parts.

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:25 am
Alainna says...

I finished this book yesterday.

It's not one of my favourite classics; I prefer Rebecca. Having said that it is much better than Jane Eyre, which I detested.

I found that most of the book was a bit....nothing. Some chapters had me hooked but after about chapter 15 I started to find it a bit monotonous. The ending was good, I did feel some sadness for the characters. It's definitely not a romantic book, much more revenge. I was just disappointed in the fact that the main character died in like chapter 10.

I would recommend it but I wouldn't read it again.

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Sat May 17, 2008 5:58 pm
Esmé says...

I read the book recently, perhaps some three weeks ago - I’m currently in the Classic mode. It was a bit ‘heavy’ to read, but I found “Wuthering Heights” very deserving of its fame, really, and it’s somewhere near the very top in my mental ‘best books’ list.

It’s tragic, and disturbing. It managed to sketch itself into my mind, and I kept thinking about the book days after finishing it. Creepy, a tad bit, but oh, well. That itself is living proof that Bronte is a genius. The characters were so real, so alive… I was torn at the thought of taking sides, I couldn’t hate anyone without pitying… I wanted very much to cry at some points. Also, it was actually a bit of a jolt when I realized that the book is ending, when everything was drawn to a close. It felt so unbelievable, yet realistic..

“Wuthering Heights” is, again, pure genius.

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Mon May 19, 2008 2:12 am
Kepe says...

Wuthering Heights is amazing. Heathcliff is the best anti hero of all time, and Kathy is so selfish it is unbelievable. This one kept me reading into the wee hours of the night, quite a page turner.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:03 pm
Ailam Remard says...

Omg! That was Bella's favorite book in the Twilight series. I should read it, yeah, I should. I'm going to go and check it out today!

-Ailam
Buh-Bye!

The brain is wider than the sky.
— Emily Dickenson