z

Young Writers Society

Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:49 am
MadHatter says...

Racism. A big problem in not just the Deep South of America but everywhere. Plenty of books try to take on this deep topic, most fail. But amongst the failure of others, one book stands above the rest. To Kill A Mockingbird is an amazing piece of literature that effectively takes on racism.

Plot/Storyline: I give it a 10/10. Mrs. (Ms.?) Lee did a good job in creating a believable setting and believable characters. She had you on the edge of your seat when Scout went into Boo Radley's yard. She had you crying when Tom Robinson was convicted. Harper Lee did an amazing job in giving us a REAL taste of the hatred towards anyone different in the South. But once again, racism is not just a Southern thing. Racism is one of our worlds biggest problems.

Character Development: I give it another 10/10. Harper Lee once again does a tremendous job. The characters seemed so real and life-like. She used so much detail it was as if you knew them all in real life. Everyone could relate to at least one character in the book. Be it the shut-in Boo Radley to the gossip Miss Crawford. She had a wide array of characters that were perfect for the story.

OVERALL SCORE ON THE MAD-SCALE: 20/20! Yay TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD!
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:34 am
AWritersFantasy says...

This was seriously one of two books I had to read for school my sophomore year of high school that I not only loved, but I actually read ahead for because I loved the story so much. It kept me turning the pages. And the movie was awesome too, though I don't remember much about it. Totally agree. I need to reread this book, after I reread Catcher in the Rye at some point. Technically I never read it myself, my English teacher my junior year read it out loud to us, which was pretty cool because he'd use different voices.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:48 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

I love the book, not to mention it spawned a Gregory Peck movie. *fangirl sigh* Atticus Finch is one of my favorite characters in literature.

Ciao,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:15 am
Marionette says...

Ah, yes. To Kill a Mockingbird. It is quite possibly one of the best literary achievements of all time. There's just something about it that endears so dearly to the human heart.

And I agree, the believability is key. The narrator is a young girl that I could relate with, having been a bit of a tomboy myself and picked fights with boys. And of course, Atticus Finch, the written proof that you don't need to have superpowers, kill someone, curse, or be larger than life to be a hero. (I cheered when the American Film Institute named him the best Movie Hero).

Naturally, it's a book that will take a pretty fierce amount of talent to surpass~
"Put to rest all that's not life
Drink for beauty and fill my blank page..."

Cadence of Her Last Breath - Nightwish

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:45 pm
Fireweed says...

<3<3<3
Very believable, yes, and sends its message without being preachy. All the characters have amazing depth, and Atticus Finch is the most admirable hero I've ever read, yet he is such a simple, down-to-earth man.

Absolutely beautiful book.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:02 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE To Kill a Mockingbird. I finished reading it about two weeks before it was due for my literature class. It is amazing. The dialogue and the mind of a little girl were so perfectly portrayed - it SOUNDED like a six-year-old's ideas and thoughts and feelings. So great.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:40 pm
Kepe says...

I LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE this book! Probably one of the most amazing books of all time! Atticus is awesome, Scout is a perfect character. For me the best part of the book was the ending with Boo Radley, the author really succeeded in opening the reader's eyes to all kinds of prejudices.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:10 am
JackBauerHasABaldSpot says...

It's obviously about racism, but I like to think that it's also about courage even in the face of so much fear. I didn't really cry at the Tom Robinson trial's verdict, but I did shed a tear or two when Tom was killed. I know I cried when Heck Tate showed the ham costume (or, I suppose, more appropriately, what became left of it) as the thing that saved Scout's life. It was almost heartbreaking, and the book definitely was heartbreaking.

If I had to be stranded on an island with only five books, this would be on my list. It does teach you about racism and prejudice, but it also teaches you about being different, and that that's okay, no matter who you're different from, but that others might not see it that way. That message that I gained is just the kind that won't wipe off. Plus, I loved Boo Radley.
"...some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright."
-The Shawshank Redemption

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:59 pm
Alainna says...

JackBauerHasABaldSpot wrote:It's obviously about racism, but I like to think that it's also about courage even in the face of so much fear.

I completely agree. This book shows how it's only fear and prejudice that creates racism.

I loved the narrative and I enjoyed this book so much that I refused to put it down for more then ten minutes.

A great story for nearly all ages and I'm glad that it's on the curriculum.

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:09 pm
bookworm201 says...

Greatest book my crappy middle school teacher made us read. It almost makes up for her making us read books three reading levels below our grade level.

One of the things I love about this book is the dual symbolism of the mockingbird. Like how it represents Tom and Boo at the same time? Sheer genius. And Atticus and Scout rock. Hands down.
"reading one book is like eating one potato chip."
-diane duane in so you want to be a wizard
[url=secondday.proboards.com]best rpg ever[/url]

Reviews: 1
Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:00 pm
Rythmic_Sunshine says...

An incredible book, definitely one that everyone should read at least once in their life if not more. Jem and Dill and Scout will always have special places in my heart.

RS
Let's Rock to the Rythym in the Sunshine.
~Sunny Two~

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:00 pm
Aedomir says...

I've never read that, but as soon as I finish the Eagle's Conquest and LotR TTT its how to kill a mocking birf for me!

Be it the shut-in Boo Radley to the gossip Miss Crawford

My name is Mark Crawford lol. Quite a common name but still :-D
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:57 am
Pickle810 says...

When I read this book in class this year, I expected it to be like the other books Mom recomends: dull, obsolete, and not my style. I was so, so wrong.

I'm normally a reader of Tamora Pierce and Tolkein, not historical fiction stuff, so how good this book was surprised me. Quite possibly one of the best books I've ever read!
me: why can we kill for Jesus and not Muhammed?
my best friend: because Jesus is white.
me: that's not fair!
her: and what is?

Nothing says criminal activity like strong bones. ;)
— Magebird