z

Young Writers Society

Pendragon series

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:59 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

Bobby Pendragon is a smart, athletic, funny fourteen year old guy. He's got a mom, a dad, a sister and a golden retriever. He's popular and friendly and on top of the world because he just found out the most beautiful girl in his grade likes him back. He's got a pretty ordinary life.

And then Uncle Press comes along. Uncle Press has never been very ordinary. Now Bobby learns that he isn't either.

These are technically middle-school level books, but I still love them. Very well-developed characters, pretty unique storylines. My friend got me hooked on them, and now we drive our lunch table crazy trying to figure out what's going to happen in Halla.

Anyone want to talk about them?
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:11 pm
MadHatter says...

I read the fifth one...it made some sense
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

241 Reviews

Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:28 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

gaaaah! you've got to read them all!
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:16 pm
ciago92 says...

I love the whole series! These books are very well written, with good subplots and character development, yet it retains an easy to read, fun style as well. My brother (12) sister (9) and I (15) all love the series, so that shows how it reaches all ages and genders. I can't wait for the next book!

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:21 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

I'm in the middle of "Black Water". "The Reality Bug" is by far my favorite, though. I wish I could read faster!

These are by far some of the best books I've ever read, for all the reasons lyrical's already pointed out. xD
ohmeohmy

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:48 pm
Wolf says...

They're okay, I guess.
I've read up until 'The Rivers of Zadaa'. I was going to buy the rest but there's something about the author's style that I really hate.
I mean, he really isn't [in my opinion] a very good author. His imagery is...nonexistent/uninteresting, and he just doesn't have a very good handle on prose.
The one thing that makes his writing good is how hilarious Bobby is, though. That's the only thing that kept me reading; all those funny thoughts etc. You know what I mean.
The whole idea of Halla is pretty cool, but it would be way better if he had more talent with writing. :?
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

441 Reviews

Reviews: 441
Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:50 pm
Gwenevire says...

I have seen those books around they look interesting and I think I read a few chapters of the first one. I just didn't have the money to buy 'em. I should borrow them from Ayra some time if that is okay with her :D
They look really good.

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:01 am
Squall says...

Hrmm I read the first Pendragon book. It's a decent read but too simple in my opinion. The characters are quite well developed in a sense and I like how the author makes the characters feel like normal people and actually relate the reader with them. That I really like. With that said, I think the characters could had been developed more deeply as they are too simple for my liking.

I read some of the 2nd book but it feels too repetitive. The concept of Halla isn't very elaborated much on. It's obvious that with each book that this concept would be repeated with each realm and the plot lines and conflicts will be similar and some conflicts have little to do with the overall theme of the plot and are simply thrown in to prolong the book. The writer's style also annoys me a bit. The diary type style of writing combined with the descriptions cancel each other out in a way.And as Ayra said, some of the imagery is just uninteresting.

Overall, if you want something that will entertain you, then read Pendragon but do be warned that if you decide to continue the series, it will become formulatic.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

241 Reviews

Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:42 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

yeah, they are very simply written books, but with very involved plots. I don't usually like the over-simplified conversational style either, but these just have very good ideas and subplots. Also, it's supposed to be BOBBY'S account of everything. It's going to be simple. He's fourteen years old.

And actually, I've read up until seven and the plots haven't really repeated themselves. There are plot twists and I never see them coming. Yes, the grammar errors and everything are annoying sometimes, especially for a grammar geek like me, but still, i recommend overlooking that and reading them. They really are very entertaining.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:14 pm
Firestar says...

I love these books!!!!!!! I can't wait till Raven Rise comes out!!! If any of you guys haven't read this series, you're missing out on some really great books.
Admiration: Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to ourselves.

Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Confidence: the feeling a person has before he fully understands the situation.

Shin: A device for finding furniture in the dark.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:41 pm
Lil Dono says...

*sigh*

For a long time, I loved the Pendragon books. And I still do love some of the time.

But after reading them so often, I find they incredibly repetetive. Two sides fighting, Bobby stops war = 3 books. Poison killing people, Bobby finds cure = 2 books.

I will say that worlds are awesome! They are so in depth and each world kinda has it's own personality in it's own. I love the characters to death, especially all the strong female roles and the confusion of what's right and what's wrong and what's good and what's evil is astounding and confusing which in this case, is a good thing.

So, if you don't mind a little repetition, it's a good series. Especially if you are in a really big reading mood.

I think I will go read the first one now. ^.^

By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.
— Genesis 3:19