188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:44 pm
Evangelina says...

I hope this is alright?

BOOK OF THE WEEK

Week 9/22-9/29

Book 1

After 103 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list and with four million copies of The Kite Runner shipped, Khaled Hosseini returns with a beautiful, riveting, and haunting novel that confirms his place as one of the most important literary writers today.

Propelled by the same superb instinct for storytelling that made The Kite Runner a beloved classic, A Thousand Splendid Suns is at once an incredible chronicle of thirty years of Afghan history and a deeply moving story of family, friendship, faith, and the salvation to be found in love.

Born a generation apart and with very different ideas about love and family, Mariam and Laila are two women brought jarringly together by war, by loss and by fate. As they endure the ever escalating dangers around them --- in their home as well as in the streets of Kabul --- they come to form a bond that makes them both sisters and mother-daughter to each other, and that will ultimately alter the course not just of their own lives but of the next generation. With heart-wrenching power and suspense, Hosseini shows how a woman's love for her family can move her to shocking and heroic acts of self-sacrifice, and that in the end it is love, or even the memory of love, that is often the key to survival.

A stunning accomplishment, A Thousand Splendid Suns is a haunting, heartbreaking, compelling story of an unforgiving time, an unlikely friendship, and an indestructible love.

--Readers Group Guides to Lit

Rating: 10/10
Last edited by Evangelina on Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:40 am
Gadi. says...

I was really disappointed by this book.

It did not have any of the intrigue, beauty, and emotion of his previous one. A Thousand Splendid Suns was bland, borning, and completely empty of style, color, spice... I really did not feel for any of the women there. It was so terrible, it took me fifteen days to finish it.
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

188 Reviews

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:43 am
Evangelina says...

Really? Strange.

I fell in love with the book immeadiately. There was something about the simple yet overpowering style of the writing that took me by surprise. At times I felt revolted, excited, surprised, and many of the times--very sad. I almost cried many times.

188 Reviews

Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:55 pm
Evangelina says...

Evangelina wrote:
BOOK OF THE WEEK

Week 10/10-10/17

Book 2

What more appropriate reading can there be for a dark winter's night than Calvino's masterpiece "If On A Winter's Night A Traveler"?

With a level of integration and interconnection akin to James Joyce but an ease of style along the lines of Anderson or Hemingway, this novel comes off as both extremely accessible and very rewarding at the same time. It's a rare work that can be held up to a harshly critical light without its cracks and flaws showing through; this though, is such a work of art. Best of all, it's a true reader's novel.

"If On A Winter's Night A Traveler" is a grand story about books (and bookstores), readers (and readers of the opposite sex), authors, truth, fiction, and how they all interplay within our daily lives. At the same time, it is (as you'll see in the last 40 pages or so) one of those books that is pedagogical enough to point out your own inadequacies as a reader. Calvino covers all sorts of genres and milieus associated with the world and history of literature, so it's almost natural to focus on what happens on the most basic level in the book, but then you'll miss the real story and the more astounding depth of the novel.

Those who enjoy the magical realism expertly demonstrated by Borges and Garcia Marquez will find a congenial writer in Calvino and more specifically, in this -- his classic -- "If On A Winter's Night A Traveler".

--Borders

Rating: 10/10

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:01 pm
Emerson says...

Woo for Italo Calvino!

If on a Winters night a traveler is an amazing book. I've recommended it to several people, though, and I think only a few of them actually enjoyed it. Strange...

One thing Borders' review neglected to note was that, the real reason this book is a beauty, is because it pulls off second person, which most people can't do. Instead of being incredebly annoying, it just draws you in even more...

Eva, did you read it?
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:53 pm
Gadi. says...

(About the Thousand Splendid Suns)
I know many people who liked it, but I personally thought that a subject so deep and sad should not have been discussed in such a... a "relaxed", if I can say that, tone. It was good at parts, but it was very inconsistent and it lacked the feeling and the epic signifcance the Kite Runner had.

This book was good, it just could not be compared with the Kite Runner.
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

188 Reviews

Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:09 am
Evangelina says...

Suzanne wrote:Woo for Italo Calvino!

If on a Winters night a traveler is an amazing book. I've recommended it to several people, though, and I think only a few of them actually enjoyed it. Strange...

One thing Borders' review neglected to note was that, the real reason this book is a beauty, is because it pulls off second person, which most people can't do. Instead of being incredebly annoying, it just draws you in even more...

Eva, did you read it?

I'm in the chapter after the story about the hostage :]

188 Reviews

Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:10 am
Evangelina says...

god! wrote:(About the Thousand Splendid Suns)
I know many people who liked it, but I personally thought that a subject so deep and sad should not have been discussed in such a... a "relaxed", if I can say that, tone. It was good at parts, but it was very inconsistent and it lacked the feeling and the epic signifcance the Kite Runner had.

This book was good, it just could not be compared with the Kite Runner.

I really thought it was better than Kite Runner--which read rather too much like a biography.

188 Reviews

Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:56 pm
Evangelina says...

BOOK OF THE WEEK
Week 10/27-11/4
Book 3

Though he may not speak of them, the memories still dwell inside Jacob Jankowski's ninety-something-year-old mind. Memories of himself as a young man, tossed by fate onto a rickety train that was home to the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. Memories of a world filled with freaks and clowns, with wonder and pain and anger and passion; a world with its own narrow, irrational rules, its own way of life, and its ownway of death. The world of the circus: to Jacob it was both salvation and a living hell.

Jacob was there because his luck had run out --- orphaned and penniless, he had no direction until he landed on this locomotive "ship of fools." It was the early part of the Great Depression, and everyone in this third-rate circus was lucky to have any job at all. Marlena, the star of the equestrian act, was there because she fell in love with the wrong man, a handsome circus boss with a wide mean streak. And Rosie the elephant was there because she was the great gray hope, the new act that was going to be the salvation of the circus; the only problem was, Rosie didn't have an act --- in fact, she couldn't even follow instructions. The bond that grew among this unlikely trio was one of love and trust, and ultimately, it was their only hope for survival.

Surprising, poignant, and funny, Water for Elephants is that rare novel with a story so engrossing, one is reluctant to put it down; with characters so engaging, they continue to live long after the last page has been turned; with a world built of wonder, a world so real, one starts to breathe its air.

--Reading Group Guides

Rate: 10/10

188 Reviews

Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:43 pm
Evangelina says...

You know, if anyone has books they think are worthy, feel free to share!

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:59 am
Fireweed says...

I've been meaning to read "A Thousand Splendid Suns," it sounds really interesting. Depressing, though.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer.
— Robert Frost