z

Young Writers Society

Hobson's Choice

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:21 pm
GingerLizzy says...

Now, I'm currently studying this is my English Literature class for my GCSE, along with Of Mice and Men, which we haven't started yet. I'm enjoying every second of it and think that people should read it, especially those who enjoy a little comedy in the "old fashioned" style plays.

Plot

It's a read that I'm sure will maybe appeal more to the females of the world, although in saying this, I am not being sexist. I say this because it portrays a very strong minded woman - Maggie Hobson - in it, who defies all that is right in society and what is expected of women in those days [1914] and ends up starting a business with a boot hand, creating uproar from her father.

Her father - Henry Hobson - is a lazy oaf of a man and relies on his three daughters; Maggie, Alice and Vickey to run his shoe making shop, of which slowly begins to go downhill on Maggie's departure.

The cause of Maggie's departure is when the boot hand - Will Mossop - catches her attentions as she realizes his true potential and talents for making boots and shoes. Determination breaks way and she marries him, ignoring his early protests and they soon fall in love.

Views

I enjoyed this throughout and even thought that the film closely followed the play, therefore making both an enjoyable experience. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind a little bit of comedy, and people who like strong and independent characters.

Four stars
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:40 pm
Rydia says...

Hmmm. Well I love 'Of Mice and Men' and I've not read this one but it sounds interesting so perhaps I'll invest in a copy.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

"You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things..."
— Gone With the Wind