So moving!

So mature!

So playful!

So descriptive!

So emotional!

So true!

So cultural!

So beautiful!

It's about a young girl growing up to become a great Geisha, or a Japanese prostitute. Well, not a prostitute, but a woman of entertainment, refinement, and great culture who's virginity is auctioned. She fell in love with someone who she cannot love. She is heartbroken because of her old days in her small fishing village. And she is broken apart.

WHAT AN AMAZING BOOK!

It's in my top 10. :)
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:20 pm
Fireweed says...

OMG I LUVS IT 2!!!!1

Sorry. But yes. Amazing book. Beautiful and tragic.

To anyone who enjoyed it, I'd highly reccomend Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, by Lisa See. It's also about women in Asian culture, and it's also very sweet, sad and beautifully written.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:28 pm
Evangelina says...

I LOVED THIS BOOK TOO!
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:02 pm
Saphira says...

This book was amazing1 I thought that it was so tragic but also a story of hope. I think that the film definatly didnt do it justice.
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:48 pm
Fireweed says...

Yeah, the book was better, but I did like the film. It was visually beautiful, but you didn't get the beautiful language of the book.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:49 pm
Dream Deep says...

What I can't believe is that Memoirs of a Geisha was written by a man...

How on earth does a man portray the character of a girl so flawlessly?

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:23 pm
Areida says...

I second that, Dreamy. I thought there had to be some kind of mistake on the cover of my book or something. I actually had to go look it up and do some reading on it before I believed it. I was shocked!

The book was amazing. I was disappointed in the movie after I read it. Visually stimulating, of course, but lacking in the majesty of the book. It's wonderfully written.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:35 pm
Gadi. says...

I actually saw the movie before the book, I think, because I liked the movie... but of course, the book was so much better! Plus, it has so much information and plot twists and all those that I forgot all about the movie the moment I started the first page.

(Which is my favorite beginning of all time. "Image yourself having a cup of tea...I remember the afternoon I met him was the best of my life and thwe worst..." so good!)
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:01 am
jynxypanda says...

Wow, this book also captured my heart! Who knew that reading about Japanese women made for entertainment would be FUN? Yap it also amazed me that it was written by a MAN! Wow, he must have researched a lot!!!
"....I am TOUGH to go through coz I'm TANGIBLE!!"

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:03 pm
Esmé says...

I didn't see the film before I read the book, and haven't to this day, so I dont have any comparison on which was better, but the book was really well-written. Not really my style, but I enjoyes it very much, even though I had to read its Polish translation (alas). Very moving, very touching.

“Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents!”
— Little Women