z

Young Writers Society

Rebecca

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:59 am
Alainna says...

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. When I picked it up I instantly compared it to Jane Eyre (which I hate!) and as I began to read I realised that Rebecca is a whole lot better than Jane Eyre.

Rebecca is about a young woman (who the reader never learns the name of..) who falls in love with a rich widower and after marrying him in Monte Carlo comes to live in England, at his estate called Manderley. However, the mysterious death of his wife (Rebecca) nearly a year ago seems to haunt her and she can't help but feel like she's just there to fill the gap that Rebecca left behind....

Has anyone else read this book? Any views? I would recommend it, it's very en captivating.

Alainna
xx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:27 pm
Saphira says...

I tried to read the book after i saw the show in Manchester. I thought the show was absolutly amazing and the story gripped me though i found the protrayal of some of the charaters a variation from the book. I also watched the film which was again different. When i came round to reading the book i thought that the show and the film were much better and i found the book a bit drab. I am not denying that the book is good but it just didn't catch my attention the way the show did.

Saphira
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!

410 Reviews

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:24 pm
Alainna says...

Ah, I've seen neither the show nor film....

It probably makes a difference when you have seen the above as the twist isn't a surprise and you know what's about to happen...

Which version of the film have you seen? The Laurence Olivier version? I really want to rent one of the films...I was just worried that they wouldn't be as good.

Alainna
xxx

Got YWS?

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:30 pm
Royboy says...

GAH! It's pure fate that I should stumble across this book review. I'm going to thank you a whole lot for the next... month or so. I read one book (Indiana by George Sand) that was pretty good. I got it off of a song! The same band has another song called Rebecca and comparing it to Indiana, I realized it must be a book as well! You description of the book sounds exactly like the song and now I have to read this book within the next year or i WILL go insane. Trust me.

Thank you so much for setting up this coincidence. I shall read the book soon!

~Crazy Roya
[url="www.royacrystaldoesnanowrimo.tumblr.com"]Follow my 2011 NaNoWriMo progress on tumblr[/url] or [url="http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/734471"]friend me on the official NaNoWriMo forums[/url]!

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:07 pm
Royboy says...

Who might the author be?
[url="www.royacrystaldoesnanowrimo.tumblr.com"]Follow my 2011 NaNoWriMo progress on tumblr[/url] or [url="http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/734471"]friend me on the official NaNoWriMo forums[/url]!

410 Reviews

Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:56 pm
Alainna says...

Royboy wrote:Who might the author be?

Daphne Du Maurier. It's a classic so it's fairly easy to get a hold of.

xxx

Got YWS?

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:26 pm
Evangelina says...

I adore this book. And the author.
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

Once here on Young Writers Society, in chat, chickens wanted variety. They complained to Nate and after debate became funky orangutans silently.
— Mea