z

Young Writers Society

Terry Pratchet

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:33 am
Elelel says...

Has anyone read any books by Terry Pratchet? He's written lots. I've read some. I thought they were funny and intertaining. What do other people think?
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:57 am
WinterGrimm says...

I read Color of Magic and was amused. Unfortunatly I have a couple of friends who will not SHUT UP about Terry Pratchet and as a result I'm totally burnt out on him.
That love is suffering is easy to see, for before the love becomes equally balanced on both sides there is no torment greater, since the lover is always in fear that his love may not gain its desire and that he is wasting his efforts.
Andreas Cappelanus, The Art of Courtly Love

221 Reviews

Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:37 am
Elelel says...

There are better books by him than the colour of magic... one I just got was the Monstorous Regiment. Very very very very funny!
--Music and Lyrics

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:29 pm
Firestarter says...

I don't like him. I don't see what's so special about him.

I've read several of his books, and I don't find them funny. I usually find them confusing, stupidly complicated, and trying too hard to be humourous. And it failed, for me.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:06 pm
WinterGrimm says...

And here I thought I didn't understand Color of Magic because I was a dumb American.
That love is suffering is easy to see, for before the love becomes equally balanced on both sides there is no torment greater, since the lover is always in fear that his love may not gain its desire and that he is wasting his efforts.
Andreas Cappelanus, The Art of Courtly Love

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:10 pm
Firestarter says...

Lol, No. I tried to read Thief of Time recently and it had four different viewpoints in quick succesion, so I had no idea who was who and I threw the book on the floor. And read somebody better:

Bernard Cornwell.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:16 pm
iced.cappuchino says...

I love Terry Pratchett^^

I read a couple of books from his 'Discworld' series, 'Good Omens' (Nail Gaiman + Terry Pratchett = one amazing book) and 'Maurice and his Amazing Rats'.

I love his books.

221 Reviews

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:13 am
Elelel says...

The amazing Maurice and his educated rodents, I've got that one!

Firestsrter: I haven't read The Theif of Time, so I can't comment on that one, but if the books that you read seemed complicated, he has others that aren't. The amazing Maurice and his educated rodents is good, to use an example already mentioned.

WinterGrimm: Like I said, personally, I don't think The Colour Of Magic was his best book, I didn't really get the end much, but the rest is easy enough to understand once you've read a few of the books. Many of the themes carry through, like the heros.
--Music and Lyrics

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:11 pm
Firestarter says...

Is 'Maurice and his amazing rats' the one about the cat, making fun of the pied piper type thing?

I think I read that. That was good, actually. Forgot about it. I forget a lot of books I read.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:47 pm
norris_redford says...

I read the first and thought it was fairly amusing.

Then I read the second, and just got tired of it.

I hate to say this, but I think any of us here could write one of those books in a week. They are just nonsense.

But his collaboration with Neil Gaiman, entitled Good Omens, was very enjoyable.
Non omnis moriar.

221 Reviews

Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:34 am
Elelel says...

I saw more than nonsense in the ones I read. Maybe you weren't looking hard enough.
--Music and Lyrics

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:39 pm
zelithon says...

Anyone who doesn't like or understand his books is either stupid or crazy or it might just be above your reading lvl! no offense but most of you must be i feel really bad saying that but i am protective. I understood everything i have read many of his books. HE IS MY FAVORITE AUTHOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i read ALOT! He is a genius you could not churn out one of his books in a week, especially if you do not understand it! He is brilliant! Has any of you morons (joke) (known offense meant!) read the hitchhikers guild? they are not by him an they are really good too. If you do not like or understand his books now it probably is not cause you are stupid but because it is above your reading level or you don't have a sense of humor. Try again in a few years when you are better at reading and or have lightened up a bit.
it is so much better than lord of the rings and potter.
Last edited by zelithon on Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 57
Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:29 pm
Nefer says...

I've read some of his books, I really love the 'Discworld' series. I did find some of his books confusing but I'd rather read Terry Pratchett books than J.K. Rowlings Harry Potter. I'm not a fan and couldn't care about what other people say.

Sorry if you're a Potter fan.

EDIT: I also want to say the Lord of the Rings is just not my thing.

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:13 am
Rincewind says...

Ive read tons of Terry Pratchett. Rediculous amounts really. Saying that he is trying to hard to be humerous is a seriously lame thing to say, and I think it shuld be taken back. You don't publish 30+ novels and win Caregie Medals for writing "nonsense".
Just because you can't make sense of it doesn't mean its the author's fault.
Pratchetts originality, and ability to write any kind of story makes him pretty much the best author around. He also had a dry wit and an extremely knowledgable hisotry with the english language.
I've also read Good Omens and its nearly the best book I've read (it's second to Douglas Adams' Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy).

If you don't specifically like The Disocwrodl books because they are so confusing, or there too many central characters, first of all heres a tissue, secondly try somethign he wrote for younger readers. The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, as stated above is hilarious. It about a clever cat and some clever rats who find this stupid kid who plays a flute to come around with them and rob cities by creating a plague of rats and takign care of it. Also look at The Wee Free Men, and its sequel A Hat full of Sky. Oh, and the Nomes Trilogy: Truckers, Diggers, and Wings.
~The bandit’s body slumped to the ground, knees hitting first,followed by the rest.His dead weight pushed dust into the air in a swirling cloud.The blood flowed from his head,splicing like river canals,delaying slightly on pebbles before flowing on through the street.~

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:19 am
zelithon says...

Great! You share my opinions only I am more protective.
Plus I was so outraged I got a bit confuseing.
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

*cries into coffee*
— LadyLizz