z

Young Writers Society

The Belgariad

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:54 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Well, I'm slowly creeping through them. I'm on Magician's Gambit, so please, no spoilers!

At the moment, they're good. The plot is interesting, and I'm steadily making my way through them, albeit slowly. I do, howver, have a couple of issues.

Racism. Eddings constantly shows a very racist edge. One or two races, particularly the Murgos, are the ones percieved as antagonistic, and are blamed for everything. Apparently, they have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. None at all. There don't seem to be any nice Murgos either. Of course, this may change, but at the moment It's starting to irritate me.

The second thing that's annoying me is Eddings' aversion to the word 'where', expecially as part of 'anywhere', 'somewhere', etc. It's always 'someplace', or 'anyplace'. It's just plain grammatically incorrect, as well as not fitting in with the style of the rest of the dialogue.

Anyways, those are my main two annoyances. What do you like/dislike about the series?
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:14 pm
Writersdomain says...

Oooh, read those a long time ago.

I thought they were okay. I read all of them, but the first book was very slow for me - didn't like it. They got progressively better after that, though. I just remember liking Mandorallen a lot. :P
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:14 pm
Rydia says...

I loved these books and to be honest, I didn't notice any aspects of racism or the thing about 'where.' I don't think anything particularly annoyed me about the books.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you.
— Maya Angelou