z

Young Writers Society

Artemis Fowl

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:00 pm
Twit says...

I'd heard of Artemis Fowl and thought, like a lot of now fav things, "Yeah, whatever". Then I read on someone's profile on Fanfiction.net about how great the books were, and so I got the first book out, and to my surprise it was great! I didn't like Artemis at first, and was strongly on Holly's side, but now, having read the Arctic Incident and the Eternity Code, I'm not usre WHOSE side I'm on. I'm rootin' for both sides, I think.

I can understand some people thinkning they're a bit naff, but they're well up in my fav books. :D The humour in it great, not just in dialogue, but the style and description as well. Mulch and Foaly are my favourite characters.

The Irish feel to it is great as well, cos I like Irish/Scottish/Celtic mythology and old stories, so the sigificance of Tara and the mentions of Stonehenge I found particually appealing.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:23 pm
Rydia says...

I love Artemis but Holly is a brilliant character and I love when they're working together =)
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

195 Reviews

Reviews: 195
Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:23 pm
PsychicNinja says...

Very good series.

Enjoyed it a lot.

Not much else to say. It's just a light read.

~Rogue Jedi Master and Hidden Leaf Jonin Timea
"Look, Ma. No hands"
"You haven't got a ma."
"Maybe a nice old lady will adopt me. I'm very loveable."
―Fi and Darman

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:56 am
Elelel says...

YAY!!! I love the books. When my friend first told me to read them, I didn't want to because he used the words "You'lll love them" which always make me want to rebel. But then I did read them and I did love them!

The first one was the best. I did the code in that one, but was really disappointed when I figured out it was one letter per symbol and the message wasn't really all that entralling. So I didn't bother with the others.

But ... Root ... he was so awesome. *mourns*
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:18 pm
Evangelina says...

I loved it! But then...I think I got too old for them...
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:09 pm
canislupis says...

I love them.... They're really funny and original, also the characters seem to have depth.

The audio books are SOOO much better though, because of the awesome narrator.

The writing style can be a bit offputting though....

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:35 pm
StellaThomas says...

Elelel wrote:But ... Root ... he was so awesome. *mourns*

*laughs*

My friend read the Opal Deception before me and she told me that. I spent the whole day running through the school shouting "Root! Root! Julius! Where are you?" and digging holes.

I was an odd child.

Woo, Eoin Colfer is Irish!

I love these books. Holly's my idol, she's so cool. And Juliet too. What I love is that Artemis is such an original character, you never read of his kind really, a genius, a criminal, a coward, a weakling... you love to hate and and hate to love him.

As for Tara... we went there on a history trip with school... and there was an American tour group and we heard someone saying "Do you think we'll see any fairies?"

Sometimes you can't help but laugh... I mean, it's not like we're going to be showing the leprechauns to you, now is it? I think it actually says in the first one how much the fairies prefer the Irish to everyone else...

Anyway, leaving my patriotism aside, I love these. They're not the most beautifully written books in the world, but they're awesome anyway.

Apparently in the next one Holly goes out with Trouble... 0_o...
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:52 am
~Volant~ says...

Vernon wrote:I don't like him, I tried to read the first, and stopped. I just couldn't stand him. He was so arrogant and smug. I just couldn't stand this about him. So I hate it.

haha. That's great. Artemis Fowl was a jerk in the first book, but if you read far enough and carefully enough, you see bits and pieces of the child he is. When they're sitting still in the dark, Butler (OMG I FRICKEN LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!!) notices that Artemis is still a boy. I mean, his mother's clinically insane. Poor kid.

Awesome, awesome series. no.1 is really cool, though sometimes I think he delighted waaaay too much in vocabulary. Foaly can just be plain annoying. I mean, if he died, I wouldn't care. I mean, I guess I would, but not like when other characters died (or came too close for comfort. If you've read the books, you know what I mean.) Vernon, I think you'd like Artemis better in the second one. Artemis is forced to soften up a bit.

Holly and Butler. Coolest characters in the entire series and anything else Eoin Colfer has written.
Where are we going?

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:31 pm
alleycat13 says...

I thoroughly enjoyed all the books in this series, especially the last only, which I think was the best one. I think they are a great mix of humor, fantasy, and science technology (Artemis's schemes, the Fairy technology, ect).
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:38 am
GryphonFledgling says...

I love these books, though technically most people would say I am too old for them... In fact, I just reread them last night...

I must say that the first one tops all, just because it is the first and you really get to see Artemis and all his nastiness, and Holly and Butler and just... *sigh* I love that book... Though all of them are great. I agree that they aren't exactly stellar literature (Colfer tends to get a little preachy about environmental issues) but they are a fun read.

My reaction in the fourth one with Root won't spoil it, was to run out into my family room and screech at my brother and his best friend for five minutes about what had just happened, then I ran back into my room to cry for a bit and then finish the book. I still have trouble reading that part...

Butler, Butler, Butler all the way. Closely followed by Holly, and rounded up by Mulch.

However, for some reason I didn't like the last one as much. I think it is that Artemis has to fall for another genius. In a way, I think it would have been better for him to fall for an ordinary person, to see what ordinary is like. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

But I totally love these books. *thumbs up*

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:44 pm
StellaThomas says...

I was all rooting for Artemis to get a really bad crush on Juliet and she not give him a second glance... no?

Mulch, Holly and Butler are just really cool. So is No.1 when he gets his language skills.

IMO, Artemis himself is an amazing character. We read way too much about clichéed heroes, here's somebody that breaks all the rules...

I really want the next one to come out...
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:34 am
Kepe says...

Artemis Fowl is just such an enjoyable character. I love how arrogant, broken, and yet naive his little mind is. I wish we would get a little more insight on his criminal enterprises- they sound interesting. Eoin Colfer does a good job of making Artemis a believable character, and considering he is a 12 year old criminal mastermind that is saying something. I think that no matter what your age you can find something to enjoy in the Artemis Fowl series, some books are just timeless.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Fantasyfreak14 says...

For some reason, I couldn't really get into this series, which was weird 'cause I'm usually all about the fantasy books. I didn't like the first book at all, and the second one was just okay. oh well, maybe I'll try them again in the future.
"Its a brave new world."
-Sylar

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:49 pm
spaced_out says...

I love them all.

I cired in the 4th book, when BUTLER DIES.

and when HOLLY DIED in the 4th book.

And in the new one ARTY MURDERS HIMSELF adn creates a TIME PARDOX.
MATT
if you can dream YOU CAN DO IT!

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:38 pm
View Likes
sofi says...

i have to say i started reading these books and didnt like them at all, but that was about 4 years ago so since you all love them i might try reading them again :)
'Don't you just love these long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour but a little bit of Eternity dropped into your hands- and who knows what to do with it?'
T.W.

I continue to be a reverse hipster, I only do things after they've ceased being cool
— BluesClues