z

Young Writers Society

My Sister's Keeper

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:47 pm
Rydia says...

I loved this book. Not as good as 'The Pact' but full of great conflict and an unexpected ending.

Book Review

‘My Sister’s Keeper’ by Jodi Picoult – Have you ever wondered what it’s like to have a terminal illness? To live every day, not knowing if it will be your last? Well, that’s life for one little girl but, in an original twist, we follow the story of her younger sister Anna; a child created for the sole purpose of donating the organs and blood cells her sibling requires. Kate and Anna are the closest of sisters but, after years of high risk to her own health and dangerous, painful operations without her consent, Anna seeks out the help of a lawyer with his own tragic past.
In a case where success ends in the death of a loved one and the penalty of failure could cost both sisters their lives, can anyone really win? A book like this can only end in tragedy and with a rebellious, arsonist brother and a fire fighter dad, the conflict goes on and on. Is it right to abuse one daughter to save another? Especially, when the chances of survival are beyond impossible and more than one life could be forfeit.
In the end, the decision lies in the hands of fate and we find ourselves praying for Anna to succeed, guiltily forsaking Kate’s life. With a moralistic world and her own mother against her, can Anna win back what should never have been taken? Can Anna re-gain the rights to her own body, can she bare to go through with such a gruesome trial? A book that will make you cry again and again. I have one question remaining – if you was the judge, what would you decide?
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:23 pm
snap says...

Wow, that sounds really good. I've never heard of it, but I'll have to look into it now. :)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:38 pm
Imelda says...

I read this a couple of years ago and it was fascinating. I was glued to the pages pretty much the entire way through, and the ending was ... well, not what I would ahve hoped, but satisfying nonetheless. I think it's an interesting insight into the problems we're going to be facing in a few decades. It's really one to make you think!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:57 am
kktoday says...

I believe one of my sisters has read this book. I'll have to read it this summer. It sounds interesting.
If only you could see
How heaven stills when you speak
I know all your days
And I have wrapped you in mystery
(My Love Hasn't Grown Cold; Bethany Dillon)

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:06 pm
Pushca says...

I know it's illegal.

but.

I HATE Jodi Picoult, mostly because her characters are flat as tile. She's sort of the anti-Stephenie Meyer.

Sure, the concept is interesting and all, but so what? It doesn't really make you think. It resolves itself. At least it's not a blatant message book; I'll give it that.

I was 13, when I read this, I think, and I was mightily offended by the character of Anna. I mean, she's supposed to be this child who's kind of a moron (well, she's not supposed to be kind of a moron... she just is) but is ultra-perceptive about the nature of people. Come now. 'Cause, gee, I've never heard that one before. And does Ms. Picoult really think 13-year-olds are like that? Sheesh. The only character I did like was Jesse.

And the ending? I found it to be a pathetic way to avoid the inevitable.

I actually do really like Jodi Picoult as a person. I just passionately hate her books.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:20 pm
Rydia says...

What? How can you say that? I love her books. What about the pact? Salem falls? Vanishing Acts? They're all among my favourites! You're right, it's illegal to hate her books.
Writing Gooder

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:27 am
Imelda says...

I've only read this one book, but I certainly didn't find her characters flat, and her writing, while not beautiful, was better than most bestsellers. *coughDanBrowncough*

I don't think the ending was contrived to avoid resolving it, rather to add a sense of poignancy to the whole thing.

And the concept made me think. As a genetics student it really makes you wonder. But I guess, as a 13 year old, you wouldn't realy have the kind of knowledge neceassry, so I'll let that one slide. ;)

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:48 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

I was CHAINED to My Sister's Keeper. If I remember correctly, I stayed up until veins were popping out of my eyes to finish it. :D
ohmeohmy

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:26 am
Pushca says...

Vanishing Acts... at least the plot of My Sister's Keeper was good. Vanishing Acts was propelled by random revelations by Andrew.

Imelda: Yes, Certain bestselling authors are not the most, uh, skilled of the bunch. And ...ouch.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:14 pm
Saphira says...

I really like 'My sister's keeper'. I thought it was absolutly amazing but that is the only book of hers that i like. All the others seem flat and really boring. The characters are to simple and the plots are weak. The only good book she has written is 'My sister's Keeper'.
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:36 pm
DisposableHero says...

I'm reading it at the moment and I love it. I don't see how a story-line like hers could be considered flat. I have not read any of her other books but I might after this one.
Boundaries don't keep other people out.
They fence you in. Life is messy. That's
how we're made. So, you can waste your
lives drawing lines. Or you can live your life
crossing them. - Grey's Anatomy ♥

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:11 pm
Rydia says...

You should. I've read four of them now and have a fifth waiting...
Writing Gooder

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:06 pm
Alainna says...

Coincidence. I read the first chapter of this book yesterday as my mate is reading it and already I'm absorbed. I'm off to buy it soon...

Characters flat??? No way...

Alainna
xxxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:40 pm
Alainna says...

OK, so I actually read all of it and kinda saw the ending happen, but it was still sad. I must of cried at least six times through this book and it made me think so much about life in general.

I'd absolutely recommend it!

Alainna
xxxxxxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:25 pm
Rydia says...

Alainna, if you thought that one was sad try 'The Pact' by the same author.
Writing Gooder

Besides, if you want perfection, write a haiku. Anything longer is bound to have some passages that don't work as well as they might.
— Philip Pullman