z

Young Writers Society

Speak

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:12 am
Lil Dono says...

Melinda Sordino enters high school with no friends, many enemies, and 'the beast' who stares at her with a threatening grin. No one knows what really happened the night at the party, only that Melinda 'wussed out' and called the cops. No one knows, because Melinda won't speak. She faces fear and rejection. Even her best friend, Rachel refuses to talk to her along with the other half of the school who hates her guts. That party changed her.

Alone and lost, Melinda will decide what 'clique' she wants to fit into, discover a hidden talent for art, struggle with grades, and all the while avoiding 'the beast' and the other angry eyes that leer down at her. Through her art she will learn something about life and through her difficulties she will learn about herself. Slowly gaining new allies, when 'the beast' decides to prey on her best friend, Melinda knows she is the only one who can help Rachel avoid the same struggle she went through herself. With determination, Melinda will brave the hardships of high school and will finally Speak.

Speak by Laurie Anderson is a book that I picked up and couldn't put down until I was finished. This definatly makes it onto the "Favorite Book List". Opinions, Reviews?

I'm sorry if there is already a thread for this. Please delete if there is.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:15 am
Snoink says...

OMG, Speak was one of the only books that I picked up in the bookstore and my mom literally had to rip it away from me, lol. It was totally awesome. I bought it a couple of months ago... cool stuff. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:20 pm
View Likes
tinny says...

I bought it from a libary stock clearance because it was cheap, and I'm so glad I did.

It's good. It's very good. I really like it, and I don't read many school-set books, but this one I really liked. I want a closet like Melinda's!
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:42 pm
snap says...

It was an excellent book. I really enjoyed it. Laurie Halse Anderson also wrote another book that I really liked. "Fever 1793." This one was also excellent. I'm sure she's written others, but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet ;)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:11 pm
Pushca says...

Lil Dono wrote:No one knows what really happened the night at the party.

Well I knew. I knew from the beginning. I was waiting for some twist "OMG! Of COURSE that didn't happen!"

But the moment wasn't that. It was more, yeah, and?
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:55 pm
Alainna says...

Everyone has been telling me to read this book, but I never got round to it.

Well, now I'm adding it to my summer reading list and I'll comment on it once I've read it.

Alainna
xxxxxxxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:30 pm
Foreseer says...

I remember this book, I think I read it last year. I didn't think it was gonna be that good, but I glad I was wrong. After I read this book I really liked it. I guess I would definately recommend this book.

*Foreseer*
~*~It's Not Faith If You Use Your Eyes ~*~
- Miracle by Paramore

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:47 am
Rydia says...

I suppose I shall have to add it to my reading list. Hmmm. That makes 78 authors and 143 books that I should read during my life. Lol. Don't ask. I thought it would be an idea to keep a record of books that are supposed to be life changing and then I sort of expanded and made it my reading list. Except some books have jumped the queue of late and instead of reading the Bronte sisters' collection, I'm on crossroads of twilight and the four assigned by my English teacher. Will definitely get round to reading this one though, it sounds interesting.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:31 am
chocoholic says...

I've been trying to find a copy of this. I read Catalyst and really enjoyed it.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:00 pm
Teague says...

One of my mates loaned me her copy of this book... and I'm really reluctant to give it back.

I love the style in which it's written. Very blunt and honest. And since I read it as a freshman in high school myself, I could totally relate to the main character. Especially all the "lies they tell you in high school." Too true!

Excellent book. It's up there on my favourites list.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:44 pm
Sam says...

I didn't like Catalyst quite as much, but Speak was both angst-filled and good. Odd, for me to like it? ...yes.

It's just so honest in a way that most YA books aren't; most of them attempt to cover the 'real world' things up. Someone said "blunt"? I totally agree- but in a good way.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:51 pm
Via says...

I love Catalyst. I love Speak. I've read both multiple times.

I'm pretty much up for anything Laurie Halse Anderson. :D
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:08 am
ennui says...

Speak was very emotional. It conveyed matters in a very obvious and honest manner.

It was brilliant.

Reviews: 3
Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:01 pm
FreedomSeeker124 says...

It is certainly good. I read it as a requirement for my freshman year. I loved it!
[spoiler] I understand how she feels though it would be a tough spot to be in for something like that. I'm glad she came out and stand up for herself. [/spoiler]

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:59 am
Fireweed says...

Loved it, even if it was kind of predictable, like Pushca said. I love Melinda's sarcastic humor.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven - and very, very few persons.
— James Thurber