z

Young Writers Society

Star Wars novels

195 Reviews

Reviews: 195
Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:17 pm
PsychicNinja says...

Hi everyone!

Wow..you wanted to burn the best books ever (in my humble opinion)!!
Well, whatever. I really liked the Thrawn Trilogy. Timothy Zahn..is just..great! He is my favorite author ever. And if the Heirs of the Force and Dark Force Rising bored you...wouldn't The Crystal Star bore you more?! It has less action and is less suspenseful. :wink:

Well..if I'd recommend just one last trilogy/book you would read..it would be (this is a very hard question, since I've loved almost every SW book I've read)..um..well either the NJO books or one of the Clone Wars ones...I would normally recommend the Thrawn Trilogy..but..

Ok. I think you should read Survivor's Quest and it's prequel, Outbound Flight, KiteRide86. But if you want to read a book BBY..I would recommend Shatterpoint by Matthew Stover. Oh yeah, and Survivor's Quest and Outbound Flight are by Timothy Zahn.

I don't get it... why did the Thrawn Trilogy bore you, KiteRide??

~Rogue Jedi Master Timea
"Look, Ma. No hands"
"You haven't got a ma."
"Maybe a nice old lady will adopt me. I'm very loveable."
―Fi and Darman

195 Reviews

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:20 pm
PsychicNinja says...

Oh yeah..and how could you only read one last SW book??
*faints*

~Rogue Jedi Master Timea...SW book Lover

MTFBWY!
"Look, Ma. No hands"
"You haven't got a ma."
―Fi and Darman

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:01 pm
KiteRide86 says...

I don't get it... why did the Thrawn Trilogy bore you, KiteRide??

To this I say: first, it's been a really long time and maybe my tastes have changed since then; and secondly, that it seemed like a lot of long drawn out boring chats and description. What was suspense for you was fluffy filler to me. But like I said, that was long ago.

Oh yeah..and how could you only read one last SW book??

To this I say: I really do love Star Wars. I was raised on it. I recall Kindergarten when my teacher asked me for a word beginning with "H" and I replied, "Hoth. As in the Ice planet." :wink: (no lie, either)

But, sadly, I am not obsessed like I once was and have a long list of other books to read, as well. So I may eventually read other SW books, but as for now I only need one.

wouldn't The Crystal Star bore you more?! It has less action and is less suspenseful.

To this I say: I love characters. Give me a book where there are round characters and choices they have to make and I say, "bring it on."
Crystal Star did that for me and Thrawn did not.
So, it's not action I crave, it's characters. When I read them I skipped most of everything boring and read only the parts about Mara and Luke. They interested me.

Shatterpoint by Matthew Stover.

This sounds familiar. I think it was on my book list at one point. What's it about?

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:29 pm
Lady Pirate says...

Only one book?

No, no, no, the NJO is a whole series of books, there are about fifty of them. My mistake I probably should have said the NJO Series and not the books. :oops:
'My words fly up, my thoughts remain below.
Words without thoughts never to heaven go.'

William Shakespeare
Greatest English dramatist & poet (1564 - 1616)

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:44 pm
EstelPax says...

No the Legacy searies or the Hand of Thrawn douology.
Lanna
Hope for Peace

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:59 pm
Lady Pirate says...

The Legacy series is good as well. At the moment I'm rereading Sacrifice
'My words fly up, my thoughts remain below.
Words without thoughts never to heaven go.'

William Shakespeare
Greatest English dramatist & poet (1564 - 1616)

Random avatar

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:18 pm
KiteRide86 says...

Alright, so you Timothy Zahn fans. I decided, just for good measure, to crack open the pages and read a little. I found the second book, Dark Force Rising, comfortably seated on the bookcase, mashed in between a few other SW books. (I think I may have borrowed the first one from the library) Anyhow, I read the first few pages and noticed his very vivid details. He has a wonderful way of wording things. It wasn't as bad as I remember, and I think that is because when I read them I was 13 and now I am 17. So my tastes have aged a bit.

I would like to read them again, because I want to know what will happen to this Thrawn guy and how things will unfold for Mara and Luke. But, seeing that the 21 is only a few days away and I have my copy of HP7 already pre-ordered and ready for shipping, that may be a while. Oh, and after that I have to finish Pretties and Specials (Extras in Oct.) and then New Moon (Eclipse in Aug.) Maybe I can fit a couple SWs in with work and Final Fantasy 1, 2, and 12. *faints from pressure*

195 Reviews

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:34 pm
PsychicNinja says...

Okm Shatterpoint takes place during the Clone Wars. Jedi Master Mace Windu goes back to his home planet of Haruun Kal. Here what the back of the book says,

"The jungle planet of Haruun Kal, the homeworld Mace barely remembers, has become a battleground for the Republic and the renegde Separatist movement. The Jedi Council has sent Depa Billaba-Mace's former Padawan- to the planet to train the local tribesmen as guerrilla resistance force to fight against the Separatists. But Depa has vanished. The only clue to her disapperance is a cryptic recording that hints of madness and murder...a recording in Depa's own voice.

"Mace Windu trained her. Only he can find her. Now Mace must journey alone into one of the most treacherous jungles in the galaxy-and into his own heritage. He will leave behind the Republic he serves, the civilization he belives in, everything but his passion for peace and his devotion to his former Padawan. And he will learn the terrible price that mush be paid when keepers of the peace are forced to make war."

Yeah, that's what the back says. It's a really good book. If you're looking at well-rounded characters and the author exploring them, I think that this is the clone wars book to read!

And the NJO Series has 27 parts (some of those are short stories and ebooks). Or 20 books.

The books Lanna mentioned (the Legacy of the Force series) are all sad, though...but a lot of SW books are..

The Hand of Thrawn duology is really, really good. Luke&Mara forever!
If you're looking for a post-Return of the Jedi book...definetly the Hand of Thrawn duology.

Hand of Thrawn Duology:
Specter of the Past by Timothy Zahn
Vision of the Future by Timothy Zahn

Really, really good books! Zahn's description is always great! He loves contrast!

Have fun picking through all these books we recommended!

~Rogue Jedi Master Timea
"Look, Ma. No hands"
"You haven't got a ma."
―Fi and Darman

Random avatar

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:35 pm
KiteRide86 says...

Thanks, guys! You've helped a lot! I'll check them out! :P

195 Reviews

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:10 am
PsychicNinja says...

no problem! 8) :D

~Rogue Jedi Master Timea
"Look, Ma. No hands"
"You haven't got a ma."
―Fi and Darman

I love how we all band together to break things...
— Kelpies