z

Young Writers Society

Art Geeks and Prom Queens

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:30 am
Leja says...

I just finished this book for book club, and I must say, it was decent. For the fifty to hundred pages, I was thinking "oh no, this is just another regurgitation of new girl/woe-is-me teen chick lit, along the same lines of Mean Girls" (like, ridiculously similar). But then, and I can't pinpoint exactly how, it seemed to be a little more real (no, not just because drugs were involved at various points)... and by the end, of all the books/stories of this story type, Art Geeks and Prom Queens should be the one that's kept, and the rest discarded.

Does anyone out there disagree? Can you recommend me another book that is better? (Has anyone else read it in the first place?)

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:49 pm
Alice says...

never read it plan to eventually now.
I just lost the game.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:32 pm
Pushca says...

Oh my. I started this the other day, and by page 21 I was throwing up.

Not for plot, or character, or voice reasons. The author could be a perfectly good writer.

It's supposed to be written the way a teen would speak. It's not. It's written how an adult would think a teen would speak. Does she really believe that teenagers talk like that? How long has it been since you regularly used the word "awesome" (OK, so this makes it dated, not bad). What's bad is the use of "totally" and "like". Nobody speaks like that. NOBODY. It's not the overuse I object to - it's the way they're used. Yick yick yick.

And it's just so... typical

And I love how it's always the tall, pretty blonde that doesn't fit in (though from the review I gather that this changes). Yeah right. It just doesn't work like that. No amount of books that want to think outside the box and movies that don't want to cast short, ugly brunettes are going to change that.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:21 pm
Leja says...

Yes, it is typical and cliche; I disagree with nothing that you have said here (you're right about the blonde/brunette thing).

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:36 am
Sam says...

B-b-but...I love Mean Girls! *is being nerdy and reading the screenplay*

Mean Girls is well written, actually. Maybe not with the actors that they chose (I haven't seen the movie), but it's a grand screenplay- since it's making fun of teen novels and the like.

I shall have to read this for myself, though the tall blonde being an outcast is suspicious.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

"And the rest is rust and stardust."
— Vladimir Nabokov