z

Young Writers Society

Fountainhead

227 Reviews

Reviews: 227
Sat May 26, 2007 8:50 am
Mad says...

It's a book a friend gave to me and I didn't really think that I'd like it but well, I was impressed.

I haven't quite finished yet, a hundred pages or so too go, but I can't stop reading it. My only criticism is that it is probably a bit longer than it needed to be.

So, yeah, anyone else read it?
Sing we for joy and idleness,
Naught else is worth the having. -- Ezra Pound

PM if you're in need of a review.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue May 29, 2007 2:23 am
jessicarabbit says...

I read The Fountainhead a few months ago and had mixed feelings about it.

I loved the plot. It kept me reading until the end and I found my self rooting for Roark many times.

The rape scene made me a little uncomfortable and confused. I definately did not understand the relationship between Roark and Dominique Francon. I also found the dialogue incredibly dull.

Overall if it wasn't for the great plot and strong characters, I would not have been able to finish it, but I could easily see why others love it.
“Every human being has hundreds of separate people living under his skin. The talent of a writer is his ability to give them their separate names, identities, personalities and have them relate to other characters living with him.” -Mel Brooks

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed May 30, 2007 1:27 am
Cade says...

It can be dull at times. Rand not only wanted to write a novel, she wanted to babble about her philosophy at the same time. I liked it, though. I highly recommend another of her books, We the Living. Excellent stuff.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed May 30, 2007 3:42 am
jessicarabbit says...

Is We the Living really long? I was thinking of attempting Atlas Shrugged over the summer, but it looks pretty intense and I don't know if I want to do that much thinking about it. I totally don't get the whole Objectivism thing. I did a buttload of research and all I got out of it was more confusion. :? Argh.

I might just reread The English Patient again. God, I love that book!! :D
“Every human being has hundreds of separate people living under his skin. The talent of a writer is his ability to give them their separate names, identities, personalities and have them relate to other characters living with him.” -Mel Brooks

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed May 30, 2007 8:04 pm
Cade says...

Objectivism is really fascinating...and Atlas Shrugged is incredibly intimidating. I was reading last year and gave up...I'm going to try again soon.

We the Living is much shorter and considerably more enjoyable. It actually...has a plot.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed May 30, 2007 8:06 pm
Emerson says...

Erm. I have this book. (I stole it from my English teacher xD) She said it's suppose to be one of the best books ever. I started it and then went "eh" but seeing as I have it, I'll get to it eventually.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

I think the best thing about making it into the quote generator is when nobody tells you, so one day you're just scrolling and voila, some phenomenally inane thing that crawled out of your dying synapses and immediately regretted being born the second it made contact with the air has been archived for all time. Or worse, a remark of only average inanity. Never tell me when you've put me in the generator. Pride-tinged regret just doesn't taste the same without the spice of surprise.
— SirenCymbaline