z

Young Writers Society

Go Ask Alice

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Fri May 11, 2007 1:18 am
JC says...

I just read this yesterday.

It's about a young girl who moved to a different state. One day she goes back to visit her grandparents, and she runs into some old friends, goes to a party, and is introduced to drugs for the first time.

This is a true story, it's actually the girls diary. And even though it was written in the 70's it still thrives today. I highly highly recommend this book to anybody and everybody who hasn't read it.

Despite the slow start, it proved to be well worth it, and amazingly powerful!

-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri May 11, 2007 2:47 am
Emerson says...

I've read this.

It was pretty good, but I really hate to burst your bubble:

Wikipedia wrote:Go Ask Alice was originally promoted as nonfiction and was published under the byline "Anonymous." However, not long after its publication, Beatrice Sparks, a psychologist and Mormon youth counselor, began making media appearances promoting herself as the book's editor.

Sure, it's wikipedia, not everyone can trust it. Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_ask_Alice#Authorship

So, whether it actually is real is rather debated.

Still a good book. Depressing ending.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Fri May 11, 2007 3:15 am
JC says...

promoting herself as the book's editor.

I meant the owner of the journals. Not the editor...but I actually didn't know that. Thanks Clau.
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:15 pm
Gadi. says...

I read it. It wasn't really fitting to be a classic, but I think it has evolved into one. I liked it a lot, though it's not really one of my favorites. Just kidding--this is not one of those books you can say you liked--it was intriguing and really sad. And very true. I learned never to taste any drugs from it.
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

Reviews: 2
Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:35 pm
sar_a215 says...

that was a really good book
सारा मेरा ज़िंदगी मैं माल असबाब छिपा हुआ

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:15 pm
View Likes
Esmé says...

I haven't read it, really, but I think I will. However, it is not exactly sure if it really is a true story. I'm enclosing a link, scroll down to the Amazon reviewer, the review was very interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Ask-Alice/dp/1 ... 953&sr=8-1

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:51 pm
EnchantressMuffin says...

I've never read the book, or heard of it, for that matter, but I know that the title sounded like one of those lame Phyllis Reynolds Naylor books with that little girl who worries about her weight, and curves and boys and stuff... This book certainly sounds tons better. I'll look for it next time I go to the bookstore.

Peace, love, chocolate,
Muffin

I am not a person I am a natural disaster
— TheWordsOfWolf