z

Young Writers Society

Abarat by Clive Barker

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:24 am
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

I just finished Abarat by Clive Barker, after putting it off reading it for about 1 year, I finally picked it up. I plowed through the book at an enormous rate. It was just such an amazing read. The ending was dissapointing though...but the whole story was cool.

It is about a girl name Candy Quackenbush who lives in the small, boring town of Chickentown, U.S.A. There, one day, she runs away from her house and just keeps running until finding a really, really old lighthouse in the middle of a pasture. There she meets a creature name John Mischief who's running away from another creature called Mendelson Shape. She agrees to help him and she goes up to the lighthouse and lights it just as Shape is about to kill her. The lighthouse was a magical lighthouse that made the Sea of Izabella appeared and the islands of Abarat be vulnerable for the world. She agrees to go to Abarat in search with a new, exciting life with John Mischief, but her dreams of a new life are suddenly changed as she has to foil Rojo Pixler's plans to take over every company and Christopher Carrion's plans to make the Midnight rule all of the islands of Abarat.

Thats the book. It is a fantasy at high school level or so. It was pretty easy for me though, but it was a really great read.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:21 am
View Likes
Sam says...

Oh i remember hekategirl telling me about that one...if too people say it's awesome, then it must be good. :D
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:02 am
View Likes
Tessitore says...

I love Abarat, one of those books I'm really wanting to add to my library. The second book was also SMASHING. Much love to Clive Barker and ALL his works, expecially Everville and The Great and Secret Show and ABARAT!
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:53 am
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

Whats the sequel to Abarat? Isn't it called RED or something?

Yeah, and Abarat was really, really cool. It was the most unique book I've ever read, but a little weird at times. If you want a good read, you should so read this.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:55 pm
Kylie J says...

Oh yeah! I read Abarat a while ago, and it was amazing! If you're a lover of fantasy, this book will suck you in. Unfortunately, I never got through the sequel, but I plan to at some point - it's called Days of Magic, Nights of War.
PHS marching band kicks butt!
sequential, lieutenant gay man, dr. beat, nickate, jessie, joshie, and xena
if you understand who these nicknames refer to
i pity you

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:05 pm
hekategirl says...

Thats is my all time favorite book in the whole intire world!!!!!! the first was is very, very, very good. But the second one is so amazing. Its even better then the first one. Clive Barker planning on writing 2 more. And also their going to make a movie out of it too *grrrr* not only that but DISNEY is making it *grrrrr*
Their going to ruin it for sure.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:10 pm
Kylie J says...

Ah, they're making a movie out of it? That stinks! Once they do that, no one's gonna bother reading the books, no matter how much better they are, and they'll probably totally ruin the plot. Grr!
PHS marching band kicks butt!
sequential, lieutenant gay man, dr. beat, nickate, jessie, joshie, and xena
if you understand who these nicknames refer to
i pity you

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:17 am
niteowl says...

As someone who loved both the first and second books, I cannot believe they're making a movie out of it! And I can't believe Disney's making it! Did they steal the rights to it or was Clive Barker severely drunk? *runs around and screams in horror at the thought of the great Disney massacre of one of the most awesome books ever*
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:29 am
hekategirl says...

No, Clive Barker willingly gave them the rights to make it. And the scary thing is...HE IS EXCITED!! UGGGGG!!!! here is the website where I read it, its the official Abarat website jsut click on 'The Movie' and you will see the horrifying, terryble article:

http://www.thebooksofabarat.com/content4/xbarat99.html
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:52 am
Sam says...

I'm on like...the 10th page..when they're in Room 11...

it's like my favorite book already.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:23 pm
zelithon says...

[b][size=24][/size]My favorate books ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And concidering how much i read that is saying something! i have read both of them and hav4e them both in first addition i drool just thinking about the next one!!!!!!!!! i can not express in words how asome these books are! 20 times better than harry potter without a doudt! I am not that enthuseastic about the movie comeing out(every true reader knows the book is almost always better than the movie
) but i will definatlyt wach it. I have read 2 other books by Clive Barker but they were not as good. One was pretty [i]graphic[/i] if you now what i mean (unsuitable for younger readers), but good otherwise. the other one was really good and his only other book for kidds.[/b]

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:57 am
View Likes
Pushca says...

I loved those. Dude had to be on drugs to write it, though.... : )
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:35 pm
View Likes
JC says...

I seem to be the only person not seriously obsessed with the books. I read them both, at a friends request, and I'm not saying that I hated them, just that they could've been better. They kept my attention, intrest, and all that, but I didn't find them exciting at all. And Disney is wonderful, I'm a disney person, probably because I work there. The only thing I hate about Disney is what they did to pirates 2. But other than that they shouldn't mess it up too much.
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

In the winter months, snowstorms and rainfall in the Patagonian Ice Fields can drastically affect the landscape. Worsened by heavy winds, such storms can reduce visibility and lead to glacial calving, ice collapses, and avalanches. During these conditions, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian