z

Young Writers Society

YWS Recent Books Debate

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:26 am
Cpt. Smurf says...

Please, PLEASE, for the love of god, put your nominations in the Nominations thread. And if you want Roald Dahl, then nominate him. In the Nominations thread.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sat May 05, 2007 1:57 pm
Pushca says...

Shriek wrote:
Pushca wrote:
Shriek wrote:
KazSmurf wrote:
Shriek wrote:I would like to nominate Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. Yeah, I'm aware that the book has been branded with the YA label -- something many of us "literaries" look down upon. Despite this, I think it's an extraordinary read, and feel it has real staying power. It was also a New York Times and Publishers Weekly bestseller, if that should help boost your opinion of it.

So was Eragon, if I'm not mistaken?! :P Just ignore me, though, I've never heard of this book, and it's obviously not of the same yurgh standard as that! I think my point is that the fact it's best-selling has nothing to do with the quality. But anyway, I'm splitting hairs here. And rambling. I'll shut up now!

Oh, I'm aware. But this book, in my opinion, was deserving of the generous amount of copies it sold.

I disagree. I knew what happened to her from reading the back of the book. I also like the stack of quote boxes we've got going.

That is the most ignorant shooting down of a book I've ever heard! If you don't want to know the ending, then don't skip ahead. It is obvious that you're going to find out what happens to a character by reading the book's final pages.

Ah, well. In the end, it is your fault that the book was ruined -- not the author's.

um... back of the book as in the back cover.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed May 23, 2007 4:48 am
sanguine_dreams says...

Tamora Pierce's books were enjoyable to begin with and become better and better as you go through the years of her writing career. And all y'all haters can kiss my Southern patootie*!

*No, I do not say "patootie" in real life. It was just for emphasis on my Southerness.
"My form is a filthy type of yours." -the Creature, Frankenstein

Reviews: 4
Sat May 26, 2007 7:16 am
Anthaslunula says...

Well i really enjoyed Tamara's books - Maybe not now but i did and they were a pretty big part of my... reading life, so for me they deserve to be on the list.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Sat May 26, 2007 4:12 pm
something euclidean says...

I really liked Tamora Pierce's books - they were fun, they got to be more well-written as time went on (it's good to see a published author who keeps working on her craft) ... but I don't know if they should make it to the final list. This list seems more concerned with best, rather than just favorite.

Likewise: I don't think Christopher Pike's books should make it; neither should Terry Goodkind's.

SO GLAD "A Clockwork Orange" is on the list.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sat May 26, 2007 4:26 pm
deleted6 says...

Christopher Pike an amazing writer, he keeps me reading, also I chose the best ones. Remember Me saga was brill and the twist in The Chainletter book 2 was so unexpected.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
— Eric Hoffer