z

Young Writers Society

YWS Classics Debate

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:37 am
View Likes
deleted6 says...

What about Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck, Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain, Peter Pan(Forgot author name)

That's all I can think of... hold on Arabian Nights( I don't know who wrote this, but it should be on this.)
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:41 am
Jiggity says...

Updated list: I've read 8. Yay.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:02 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

sokool15 wrote:Ha! I've got you all beat with 38...and a lot of them are series, too!
A lot of these are great books, but some of them are...I just don't understand why people like them. Maybe people just pretend to like them so that they can say they 'read the classics' in a haughty accent. Even though several of the alleged 'classics' are extremely odiferous.

Note:* did you know that there are about eight or nine books in the Oz series? The Wizard of Oz was the famous one, but he wrote tons of others.

Yours I remain, 8)

14, two of which were published after his death :) (I'm writing a paper)

EDIT: Baum wrote about 60 books in his lifetime, 14 were Oz, and others were popular things akin to our idea of Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys (stories about children in his time doing things),published under several pennames. Oz was the most successful series, though. A lot of his stuff, though, like American Fairy Tales did not sell well. :P

I thought I should clear that. Sorry :p
ohmeohmy

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:43 pm
Cade says...

Now, I dislike Dickens, as many do, but he was a literary mastermind. If anything of his should go up there, it should be A Tale of Two Cities.

To Kill a Mockingbird - I don't think anyone could possibly dispute that. Same for Catcher in the Rye. ALL Salinger = goodness.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:59 am
Pushca says...

*applauds cadmium*
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri May 11, 2007 9:06 pm
Leja says...

Wow, I've read 20 of these...though some only through school. I wouldn't have finished the Scarlet Letter if my midterm grade hadn't hinged on it. That being said, I also see why people consider it a classic. I might too, if Hawthore didn't continue through five pages without ending the sentence.

First arguement:
Wuthering Heights should be considered a classic because it shows the importance of choices. It is set in the perfect place to demonstrate this because the two houses involved are separate from the rest of the world, further hilighting their differences. (I'm not sure if this was a full reason or not...) The one thing that people should not do is classify this as a classic "romance" because this story is really not very romantic; it's rather morbid.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:40 pm
Addie says...

Only six. That stinks. Of course, I didn't count the ones I only got halfway through. I went on a classics spree a few years ago. Needless to say, it didn't go so well. I'll be reading more of these next year whenever I start my Modernity class.
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic.
Joseph Stalin (1879 - 1953)

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:11 pm
Gadi. says...

I read five, though there were at least ten where I started or got halfway through and got so frustrated with them I just threw them at somebody.

But there's another classic you should add to the list which I really, really liked: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I loved that book!
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:43 pm
Fireweed says...

I've only read 7.

Ouch.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

I'm also not sure why but even though I normally wear cool tones I have a feeling red would have been my color in the 1860s.
— Elinor