Young Writers Society

The YWS Classics List Nominations

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:39 pm
Cade says...

East of Eden - John Steinbeck
^^DUH.
Okay, so I just got into Steinbeck, so I haven't read a lot of his stuff yet, but East of Eden was truly a masterpiece. Once I finish The Red Pony I'll crack open The Grapes of Wrath.

Trident brought up Ayn Rand's Anthem. That's a good one. Most consider Atlas Shrugged to be her masterpiece, but I personally didn't enjoy it; the plot kind of gets suffocated because she's forcing out every last inch of her philosophy. The book of hers that I really liked was We the Living, so I hereby nominate that and The Fountainhead.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:00 am
JC says...

I'm surprised this isn't already here but....

The unabridged version of Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

In my opinion one of the best books...well...ever...
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:12 am
Trident says...

"Grapes of Wrath" was pretty good, Cadmium. The ending... well, I suppose you'll see when you get there, but it was rather different.
Perception is everything.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:54 pm
Cade says...

(I actually had to watch the Grapes of Wrath movie in like eighth grade but I'm trying really hard to forget it so I can read the book properly.)

Oops, I went off-topic! No, really, I'm posting here with a purpose.
Question: May we nominate plays?
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed May 02, 2007 6:26 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Plays? I don't think so. We've ruled out fairy tales and epic poems, so I don't think plays would count either. Unless, of course, the play has also been turned into a book, or it is a play adapted from a book.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri May 11, 2007 9:12 pm
Leja says...

Oh, good books => Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville and The Yellow-Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gibbon. And The Crucible by Arthur Miller if it's decided that plays will be allowed as well.

Reviews: 4
Sat May 26, 2007 7:19 am
Anthaslunula says...

Les Liaisons dangereuses (Dangerous Liaisons) by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos

That's a great book!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed May 30, 2007 9:55 pm
sanguine_dreams says...

All Quiet on the Western Front-Erich Maria Remarque
"My form is a filthy type of yours." -the Creature, Frankenstein

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:30 pm
Alice says...

Tolkien, anything by him. If it has already been said sorry for repeating it.
I just lost the game.

I would like to be the air that inhabits you for a moment only. I would like to be that unnoticed and that necessary.
— Margaret Atwood