z

Young Writers Society

Mortal Engines Quartet by PHILIP REEVE

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:55 pm
Magyk says...

I am currently reading the final book, A Darkilng Plain. I LOVE this series and I would say it is one of THE best series of books I have read.

It is so imaginative and VERY ORIGINAL. It is a clever storyline and so gripping.

I read the back of the book a few weeks ago and thought it sounded rubbish, but it was only 99p [I'm British, I guess its like 99c in the States]so got it anyway. I am really glad I did because it is AWESOME.

I have to admit, in the first book, Mortal Engines, I didn't really like the main character, Tom, because he seemed really imature and a little bit annoying . . .
. . .
But as for the story line, WOW. It is pretty good.

In the second book, Predators Gold, the main characters, Tom and Hester seem alot better and more grown up, but still a little annoying.
The storyline is also very good and some of the characters like Pennyroyal and Caul are very interesting.

Book three, Infernal Devices, is set about 15 years later, and the main character is called Wren, she is a lot more believable than Tom.
The story is still quite tense and exciting.

A Darkling Plain. I can't really say much about it yet as I am still reading it but the story is still brilliant so far.
Wren and Tom are even more alive than ever and other characters like Pennyroyal and Theo are even funnier and nicer (excuse my use of such a horrible word) than before.

I would advise anybody to read these books. They are simply BRILLIANT!

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:06 pm
Ofour says...

Why the annoying font?

But I will agree that these were good books. I read the first three, but began to feel as if the author was dragging it out too much. The first one was brilliant, but the second and third were slower, and less riveting. The idea is, as you say, very original. I enjoyed reading the books simply because I would never have come up with such imaginative ideas.

I didn't know there was a fourth book, I shall look forward to reading it.
ln(-a)=i(pi) + lna

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:52 am
View Likes
Magyk says...

I think the fourth book was only released in January.

Sorry about the annoying font. I was bored. Won't be doing that again.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:41 am
View Likes
tinny says...

I only ever read the first one. I enjoyed it but I never felt the urge to read the others. I might do, one day.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 am
Emerson says...

lol, what are they actually about?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat May 12, 2007 12:00 am
order says...

Mortal Engines is basically about a futuristic world in which people can no longer live on land simple because it is too desolate; certain continents, like America are completely abandoned and cities aare mobile; larger cities eat smaller cities to gain energy etc... This, however, is just the relative setting of Mortal Engines; the story of the actual people in this world is exciting and I don't want to spoil it for anyone that hasn't read it. I still have to read the last book.

“Such nonsense!" declared Dr Greysteel. "Whoever heard of cats doing anything useful!" "Except for staring at one in a supercilious manner," said Strange. "That has a sort of moral usefulness, I suppose, in making one feel uncomfortable and encouraging sober reflection upon one's imperfections.”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell