z

Young Writers Society

Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:21 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Was just wondering if anyone else had heard of/read The Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier and what they thought of it. I LOVED this trilogy. Gooooooood Irish fantasy, based on a folktale about seven brothers who are turned in to swans (I think it's seven...I know that the main character in the book is the sister of the brothers who are turned in to swans, but I don't remember how many there are in total, including her).

The first book is Daughter of the Forest, the second is Son of the Shadows, and the third is Child of the Prophecy. I think I would have to say that the first is my absolute favorite because it has the most mention of my two favorite characters, Sorcha (the narrator) and her brother Finbar, with the second book as a close tie.

Apparently- and this is according to a message board linked on Juliet's website, where she is/was apparently a member- someone is attempting to make a film based off of these books but they don't have the funds at the moment to do so.

Someone at the LJ community for Sevenwaters made a post saying that Juliet is coming out with a FOURTH Sevenwaters book, which is SO exciting. I can't wait to read it.

Any way, if you have heard of it and have read it, what'd you think? If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy/Irish fantasy. ^____^

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:47 pm
Meshugenah says...

Squeeeeeeeee!

YES!

I love those books. Love them love them LOVE THEM!

It's Sorcha's six brothers who are turned into swans by their evil step-mother and mother of her father's seventh son. The first was definitely my favorite, too.

OH my GOSH! A fourth one? What about? Find this website and message board and LJ community, I must.

(speaking of good Irish fantasy, know of any more? I've never been good at finding it on my own, sadly enough, though I should be able to find something, really, working in a library, of all places... ah well)
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:30 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Aah, I figured that it was six- seven with Sorcha.

This fourth book is about...Sean and his wife Aisling's (...I don't think I spelt that right) child. So it's Sorcha's grandchild, and Liadan's niece/nephew

The first book has the working title Clodagh, from which discerning readers may be able to tell that it's related to the Sevenwaters Trilogy.

From http://www.julietmarillier.com/news.htm, and then the LJ community for the Sevenwaters trilogy http://community.livejournal.com/slievegullion/profile is where I heard about it.

...I can't find where it said anything about it being about Sean and Aisling's kid, but I swear it did say that. Maybe the web site said that when I first looked at the web site and found out about it, and it's been updated since then or something. o___o

Who's your favorite brother? I think my favorites are Finbar and Liam. I also think that she should write a stand alone book about Finbar and his life as a swan and then as a hermit.

Sadly, no, I don't know if any other Irish fantasy books. These are the only ones I've ever read. I'm usually in to regular fantasy...funny thing is that outside of Harry Potter and the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books, the Sevenwaters trilogy is the only set of books I've really finished (that weren't like...children's books or something), and they're the only fantasy trilogy I've finished reading. Haven't been able to get in to any other books outside of the others I mentioned and actually finish reading them.

Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here.
— Neil Gaiman