86%
No
14%

Total votes : 29

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:11 am
JC says...

Last year (freshmen year), my class read Lord of the Flies. I wasn't really looking forward to it, and unfortunately I wasn't at school for the week they were reading it, I just got all the feedback and stuff like that. Not quite the same effect. So I was wondering...

Should I give it a try???
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:56 am
Jiggity says...

Yep. I don't know about the book itself but I've seen the movie, so I know the story, and its brilliant. Written essays on it, I have. Go for it, you wont regret it.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:28 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I say yes, 'cause I think it's one of those essential books to read, but be prepared for a very Tolkeiny experience. So - Much - Description.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:28 pm
Goldenheart says...

I'm going to read it very soon for school. If I finish it quicky, I'll try and give you an opinion.

Goldie
"I hate the word 'Truce'. It means 'Fun's over'." ~My little sister

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:00 am
Cade says...

As others have said, yeah, it's one of those books you sort of have to read, but may not like. I read it my freshman year for English class. I hated it. End of story. But it's still a good idea to read it.

Colleen
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:52 pm
_fallingstar_ says...

I also read it for my freshman year.

Some people liked it and some didn't, mainly because of some violent scenes, but overall, I think that it was an excellent book and a must-read for high-school students.

Random anectdote: The year after my class read it, we had a history teacher who had us do a project that involved us pretending that we were on a deserted island and had to make our own government. We came up with the idea of having a council and everyone voting on the rules. Our teacher was really impressed at first, because he said that most students jus picked one kid as the leader, but then we told him that we had all read Lord of the Flies. :lol:
My high school senior mascot is a dragon. Take that, monkey!

Blackle.com--saving energy one search at a time.

514 Reviews

Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:22 am
JC says...

I don't mind violent scenes, it's the plane crash that bugs me...I don't like planes...

:_(
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:31 am
Sarahcat210 says...

I think you should read it. I thought it was a good book. My class spent some time going over it and talking about the book when I was in 7th grade. It's been a while since I have read it, so I don't remember a lot of it. :oops:

SC
One day, one night, one moment
My dreams could be tomorrow

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:00 pm
Ofour says...

William Golding's portrayal of the real nature of human beings is something you will never forget. What struck me about it so much was that it was so true, I could actually see myself in the positions if the characters doing what they did, even if it was cruel or malicious.
ln(-a)=i(pi) + lna

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:42 pm
Cassandra says...

I read it last year on my own and this year in class: I found I liked the book a lot better on the second reading. Either way, it's very thought-provoking and interesting. And really, what have you got to lose? If you don't like the book, you don't have to read it again, but at least you can say you read it.
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

514 Reviews

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:03 pm
JC says...

Very true...hmm...I guess I'm going to get that tonight then, thanks!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:08 am
Snoink says...

OMG. THAT BOOK IS SO AWESOME.

Translation? Read it. Now. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:08 pm
Writersdomain says...

I liked Lord of the Flies. It is very thought-provoking and worth the read. Read it. :D
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:13 am
Magyk says...

DONT READ IT. They were the worst English lessons of my life.

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:21 am
Ofour says...

The lessons would not reflect how good the book is. I agree that it is annoying to pore over a book endlessly picking out every tiny detail, but this doesn't make the book a bad read.
ln(-a)=i(pi) + lna

The quote generator! That's a genius idea.
— Necromancer14