z

Young Writers Society

RedWall Series

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:25 am
Book_Worm_113 says...

Yes, its old and quite worn, but I really like this series. It's original, where else can you find a book series where mice and rabbits are heros?

Does anyone else read this series?

please, tell!

to make this a review, i give it a 9.7/10
it rocks, what do YOU think?

-Brooke
"Every-thing's broken there's no way around
It's so hard to smile
When you bring me down."
-
Me.

227 Reviews

Reviews: 227
Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:50 am
Mad says...

I used to really like Redwall a few years ago, but the storylines all get so repetitive. It's always good overcoming evil and it became kind of sickening after the 10th book.

I used to read them all, but now I've given up. So as a review, 6.5/10
Sing we for joy and idleness,
Naught else is worth the having. -- Ezra Pound

PM if you're in need of a review.

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:01 am
Ofour says...

Its not old, the author is still writing more in the series.

I liked it very much about 5 years ago, however, I must agree with Mad. There is almost no change in the central storyline from one book to the next. They all start of very happy, then there´s a catastrophe of sorts, someone leaves on a long, perilous journey, then things go very badly back home until that person returns and everything is alright again.

As children´s books go, these are very well written. The message is repetitively good and the stories may lack diversity but they´re still good reads. I read all the new ones even though I can practically predict the story because they´re just so... nice.
ln(-a)=i(pi) + lna

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:38 pm
Goldenheart says...

I agree. If you've read the first five, you've pretty much read them all.

I must say, though, that he writes very well. The villains are riveting. I liked the way he portrayed Cloony, completely believable. I also admire the way he covers all sides of the story, not just the main character's side. He pans around all through it, from the villain to the good guys. And there are multiple groups of good guys, and multiple groups of bad guys, most times, so you're pretty much everywhere at once.

I think Mossflower and Mattimeo are my favorites. Oh, and Salamandastron. I love the hares. :)
"I hate the word 'Truce'. It means 'Fun's over'." ~My little sister

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:31 pm
Taiven says...

I used to read these books continuously. However, I've moved on. I think the last one I read in the series was "Triss" but "Mossflower" was by far the best. I swear, it made me cry! Martin was my favourite character. And I love the hares too Goldenheart!

Reviews: 3
Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:14 am
Eloquence says...

I love the first book, but the second one dragged and sang a familiar tune, and then the third one was exactly the same so I quit. The books pretty much have the same plot. Evil person comes, they prepare for it, several battles, and then they slay the evil one. I don't know if the later books are so repetitive, but I gave up after reading the first three. I loved his writing style and original story, but the plots were clones and became boring after a while.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:33 am
snap says...

I used to LOVE these books. I agree with the above, though, in that they get very repetitive. I've read them all (with the exception of perhaps a couple of the latest) and I got really bored with them by the end. I liked MUCH better his Castaways of the Flying Dutchman series. That's one of my all time favorite series. I'll admit, though, that he is a very good writer. :)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:30 am
Teague says...

I love these books, but yeah, they're all quite repetitive.

I prefer the Castaways series myself. <3

Brian Jaques is amazingly talented. <333
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:16 am
tinny says...

I was heavily into these a few years ago, I had pretty much all fo the books XD I tried to read them again a few weeks ago and I just couldn't get into them anymore; I guess I've grown out of them.

The do become very repetative, and the hares were my favorite too, oh how I loved Basil Stag Hare!

My favourite was The Pearls of Lutra, and Mattimeo always reminded me of a videogame...

I gave them all to my little sister and she seems to enjoy them now.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:27 pm
Firestalker says...

I read some of the books, but its really boring. the only good book is 'Martin the warrior'

The other are boring
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:24 pm
Rydia says...

These were my favourite books when I was growing up. I love the 'pearls of lutra.' The riddles were fun to work out and the characters were great.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

There was nothing he enjoyed more than a good book. He'd wander into the study, take down some leather-bound volume, and eat it.
— Terence Brady (dog owner)