z

Young Writers Society

A Song of Fire and Ice

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:24 am
Lancrist says...

I'm wondering if anyone else around here has enjoyed this series as much as I have.

For those who haven't, it's a fantasy series set predominantly on a continent called Westeros. Magic here is an obscure background force and plays relatively little part in the plot, and humans are the only existing humanoid race.

Rather than portraying the classic conflict between good vs evil, each of the characters who have a P.O.V - there are numerous - seek their own ends according to their own morals and also receive lots of character development. Because of this they turn the plot into an intricate web of relations which can be largely unpredictable and always engaging.

I thought about trying to summarise the plot and didn't think I'd do a very good job of it. Instead, here's a link:

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/

So yeah... who's a fan?

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:04 am
Bjorn says...

Aha! My very own dentist (one Dr. Ante Bilich) recommended I pick up this series. Now this man, as an avid reader, is a tough critic of books (to the point where he has even criticized Dostoevsky! Sorry Imp! If it is an consolation, his hygenist [who is Russian] told me to brush his criticism of Fyodor aside, and praised his work; thus I find myself reading The Idiot at the moment! :D), but has assured me if I enjoyed Tolkien's LotR, I should at least enjoy this series. I bought the first book in the series, but have not got to reading it yet (as a result of a plethora of other things I am reading!) I should be happy to get to it at least by summer!!
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:59 am
Trident says...

Read it. Love it.
Perception is everything.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:13 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Tyrion rocks my sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem* Yes, I like the series.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:07 am
extrication says...

I love ASoIaF! One of the best imho, and perfect for long lengthy trips in a car or a plane. I used to read them as an excuse to stay up all night and be a hermit :D

What I love about the series is that the females can be stereotypical but they are always so interesting and developed until they seem human. This goes for the males too, but there are many well-developed men out there, and so very few females. My favourite characters are Jon Snow and Loras and Daenerys. :D
because memory moves in orbits
of absence, because she holds her hands out in the rain,
and rain remembers nothing, not even how it became itself.
- Las Ruinas del Corazon, Eric Gamalinda

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:20 am
Meshugenah says...

I've read the first one, and am half-way though the second via a recommendation from ZZAP, ages ago.

I love it.

The End.

Go forth, and read (if you're not afraid of the length, that is!)
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

Oh, I'm sorry. My friends are in the popcorn and I have to save them.
— Tori Hansen, Power Rangers Ninja Storm